The 2019/20 season drew a step closer at the weekend with the IRFU National Referee Camp in Enfield, Co. Meath.
The annual camp is an opportunity for the National Referee Panel to come together to discuss implementation around new directives and laws in the game. The 52 referees are also assessed on their fitness.
For 2019, the IRFU introduced a significant practical learning element to the camp. Live games in-camp gave referees the opportunity to perform, analyse and review their officiating among their peers.
“Referees referee and we want them to learn by refereeing,” Irish Rugby National Referee Manager David Wilkinson told IRFU TV in the above video.
The U17 Provincial squads played a series of 30-minute games on the first day of camp. As well as an off-pitch review directly after each game, referees analysed match footage and key learnings were presented back to the group.
NATIONAL REFEREES PANEL – 2019/2020 SEASON:
High Performance: A. Brace, G. Clancy, F. Murphy, S. Gallagher, J. Neville
Contracted Development: J. Erskine, R. O’Sullivan, C. Busby, S. Gaffikin
Level 1: K. Barry P. Martin E. Hogan-O’Connell M. Patton N. Correll J. Peak D. Carson J. Carvill O. Quinn P. Haycock R. Horgan
Level 2: D. Blake S. Douglas G. Sheridan C. Harrington C. Hogan H. Richmond K. Imbusch R. Kerr C. Lough S. Kierans B. MacNiece J. Wilson B. O’Connell J. Cairns E. Cross A. Cole
Level 3: R. McGreer K. Davison R. Watson A. Mitchell J. Flynn M. Scanlon P. Reidy P. Sheehan E. O’Shea P. O’Connor M. Casey C. Roche L. Evans G. Crabtree T. O’Donoghue B. Moloney
There are eight New Referees Courses being held in the months of August and September 2019. These courses are designed to introduce prospective referees to the basics of refereeing.
They typically start at 09:30 in the morning and run until 16:30 with an hour for lunch. Midweek options are also available (over two nights) in Limerick and Cork.
If you are interested in becoming a referee, you are welcome to contact the relevant person below in relation to the following upcoming courses:
- Saturday 7thSeptember, McWilliam Park Hotel, Kilcolman Road, Claremorris, Co. Mayo
- Sunday 8thSeptember, The Connacht Hotel, Old Dublin Road, Galway
To book or enquire, contact Peter Fitzgibbon, Referee Development / Education Manager:
email: firstname.lastname@example.org, mobile: +353 86 832 2987
- Saturday 24thAugust, Terenure College School, Templeogue Rd, Terenure, Dublin, D6W DK72
To book or enquire, contact Sean Gallagher, High Performance Referee
email: email@example.com, mobile: +353 86 100 3985
- Saturday 14thSeptember, Hibernian Hotel, Main Street, Mallow, Co. Cork
- Monday 16thSeptember and Tuesday 17th September (18:30 – 21:00), Limerick Institute of Technology, Moylish Park, Limerick
- Wednesday 18thand Thursday 19th September (18:30 – 21:00), Cork Institute of Technology, Bishopstown, Cork
- Sunday 22ndSeptember, Charleville Park Hotel, Limerick Road, Charleville, Co. Cork
To book or enquire, contact Chris Harrington, Referee Development Manager:
email: firstname.lastname@example.org, mobile: +353 87 2750586
- Saturday 17thAugust, New Forge Sports Complex, 18b Newforge Lane, Belfast BT9 5NW
To book or enquire, contact Richard Kerr, Referee Development Manager:
email: email@example.com, mobile: +44 7493 868 388