The Irish Rugby Football Union fully recognises the need and its responsibility to remain vigilant at all times to the threat of performance enhancing drugs in sport. It adheres to and implements an anti-doping policy in line with Sport Ireland, World Rugby and the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) regulations and guidelines.
The IRFU works with Work Rugby and Sport Ireland to deliver a comprehensive and robust anti-doping testing and educational programme. The IRFU’s anti-doping strategy focuses on the following areas:
- In and out of competition testing of professional rugby players in Ireland
- In and out of competition testing of provincial and academy players, AiL and young players on a pathway to professional/elite rugby, i.e. provincial & national panels Under-18, Under-19 & Under-20 squads
- Investment in additional testing to augment Sport Ireland testing through their User Pays programme
- Mandatory anti-doping education for all tested players in Ireland
- Anti-doping education is available for any youth and senior squads who wish to enhance player knowledge in this area
The IRFU is one of a small number of sporting organisations to invest annually in Sport Ireland’s ‘User Pays’ programme and this investment is augmented by other rugby governing bodies such as World Rugby, Six Nations and European Professional Club Rugby who also carry out in-competition and out-of-competition testing of Irish professional rugby players across the season.
The IRFU (as part of Sport Ireland’s education programme) has a panel of anti-doping tutors who deliver workshops to clubs, squads, schools, coaches and parents to ensure it provides the best possible environment to keep rugby clean. Contac the Spirit of Rugby Officer (hyperlink to their contacts) in your area for further information.
If you have any queries in relation to anti-doping, please contact the National Anti-Doping Officer Anne Marie Hughes
Keep Rugby Clean: https://keeprugbyclean.worldrugby.org/?module=1
Sport Ireland education zone: https://www.sportireland.ie/anti-doping/education-zone/education-zone
WADA Prohibited List: https://www.wada-ama.org/en/content/what-is-prohibited
TUE Form: https://www.sportireland.ie/anti-doping