Tag Rugby is a fun and fast-moving non-contact variation of the game, suitable for all ability and experience levels. Teams are made up of 7 players (4 males & 3 females) with squads of up to 15 players. Tag Rugby is ideal for people looking for a fun social way to keep fit and become involved in rugby.
Benefits For Players & Referees
Tag Rugby provides many benefits to players and referees.
- Meet new friends.
- Get fit.
- Play a fun form of Rugby with no contact.
- Join a club and become part of a community.
- Explore pathways to other forms of the game
Benefits For Clubs
- Busy clubhouse outside of regular rugby season – Revenue from bar, events, competitions
- Bigger profile of club – Builds mailing list which is used year-round, not just during summer
- New members
– People join club via subscription, attending regular season games, participating in club events etc
– Existing members or new members active in running of tag join in similar activity during regular season
– Tag players contributing to tag season as referee can take up regular 15-a-side refereeing having enjoyed the experience
– Tag players having enjoyed the summer form of the game, may sign up for other forms of rugby.
Contact: Details on above page
The IRFU has a series of educational offerings to suit your needs. Click on the link below to access your chosen sugject.
How to Play the Game: Insert Intro to Tag Rugby Link
How to Coach Tag Rugby: Insert How to Coach Tag Rugby Course link.
How to Referee Tag Rugby: Insert How to Referee Tag Rugby Course link.
Library/LEVEL UP: Tag Rugby Tool Kit – How to run a four-week introductory tag rugby programme for recruitment and retention in your club.
Q. I have never played any Rugby before, can I still play?
A. Of course you can! There is ‘no contact’ in Tag Rugby. It is easy to pick up as well as great fun. Leagues are graded according to ability.
Q. What do I need in order to play?
A. To start with, the only truly compulsory accessory required is a pair of approved Tag rugby shorts.
They must be shorts (made by any manufacturer) that bear ‘no’ pockets and sport a velcro patch on each hip for a Tag to be attached upon.
Q. How many on a Tag team?
A. The recommended squad size for a Tag team is 12-14 players. During a game, each team must have no more than seven players on the field of play at any one time. Of the seven players onfield, three must be female.
Q. Am I automatically insured to play?
A. The IRFU recommends that each player undertake their own Personal Accident Insurance cover against any injury sustained from playing the game itself during the Tag rugby season.
Q. Where do I find the rules of Tag Rugby?
A. You can download the latest version of the Laws of Tag Rugby on this page.
Q. How do I sign up my team to participate?
A. You can find Tag Rugby in your Province on this page under Tag in your Province.