Jump to main content


UCC Claim Back-To-Back Wins

UCC Claim Back-To-Back Wins

Tries in each half from back rowers James Ryan and Shane O’Sullivan helped UCC gain back-to-back wins in AIB League Division 1B on Saturday afternoon.

AIB LEAGUE: DIVISION 1B: Saturday, October 31

UCC 20 DUNGANNON 3, The Mardyke

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

Scorers: UCC: Tries: James Ryan, Shane O’Sullivan; Cons: Andrew Burke 2; Pens: Andrew Burke 2
Dungannon: Drop: Ali Birch

Having stunned Galwegians with a late two-try salvo last weekend, Conor Twomey’s committed UCC side took the scalp of top flight regulars Dungannon at the Mardyke.

The Cork students seem to be growing in confidence with each passing week, and Willie Walsh deserves a mention for the way he stepped up to the mark when filling in at full-back for flu victim Sean Scanlon.

UCC made the better start. Their accomplished out-half Andrew Burke missed a penalty before converting number 8 James Ryan’s 22nd-minute try.

‘Gannon, who had won their previous two league matches, hit back 11 minutes into the second half through a drop goal from flanker Ali Birch.

The visitors had a penalty advantage when Birch decided to go for broke and his fine kick from 35 metres out sailed through the uprights.

But Munster prospect Burke, who kicked two second half penalties, was beginning to put his stamp on proceedings alongside his busy half-back partner Brian Slater.

The UCC forwards also came to the fore as the half wore on, with flanker Dave O’Callaghan stealing a couple of Dungannon lineouts and Phillie Donnellan and Shane O’Sullivan getting through an amount of work at the breakdown.

O’Sullivan put the game beyond Dungannon’s reach in the 70th minute when he crossed from close range after a Burke penalty had set up a lineout maul for College.

Burke converted and although the Tyrone men had some decent possession in the ensuing minutes, they made little of it and UCC’s centre partnership of Brian Dennehy and captain Ivan Dineen produced some thumping tackles.

A final penalty from Burke, with four minutes left, finished out the scoring and took the the Ireland Under-20 international’s tally for the league campaign to 30 points.