Jump to main content


Terenure Take Dublin 6W Derby Spoils

Terenure Take Dublin 6W Derby Spoils

Terenure College are up to third in the Ulster Bank League Division 1A table after surging past St. Mary’s College in the second half of Saturday’s derby clash at Templeville Road.

The 'Battle of Dublin 6W' swung in Terenure's favour as wingers Shane Donovan and Harry Moore both touched down to steer James Blaney's men to their second successive win of the new league season.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

Ireland head coach Joe Schmidt was the guest speaker at the pre-match lunch and his prediction on Irish Rugby TV that Terenure College would overturn a 8-3 half-time deficit rang true.

The result continues 'Nure's excellent start to life in Division 1A and extends their enviable winning run in the Ulster Bank League to a mammoth 25 matches – their last defeat was against Corinthians in Division 2A back in February 2013.

St. Mary's, who lost their league opener at UCD, made the better start to this hotly-anticipated derby. Full-back Gavin Dunne missed an initial penalty, before Dunne and Marcus O'Driscoll were involved in sending winger Stuart O'Flanagan over in the right corner for a 16th minute try.

Dunne added a penalty from 35 metres out to give the home side a further boost. With their deficit now stretched to eight points, the gauntlet was being thrown down to Terenure.

Although Blaney's charges continued to break forward with great intent as the first half wore on, strong defensive work from Mary's led to a series of turnovers deep inside their 22.
James O'Donoghue and Mark O'Neill both opted for touch on a couple of occasions rather than negotiating a long distance effort from the kicking tee, but after a third penalty was awarded by referee Nigel Correll, Mark O'Neill finally set his sights at the posts.

His opening penalty attempt hit the woodwork, however the left-footed 'Nure out-half did manage to open their scoring account in injury-time.

A second successful O'Neill kick, four minutes after the restart, closed the gap further. Dunne seemed to steady the Mary's ship with a well-struck penalty for 11-6 and during a scrappy third quarter the respective replacement benches were utilised.

Tellingly, Terenure were beginning to cause serious problems for the Mary's defence and Cathal Marsh had to react quickly to prevent an almost certain try for 'Nure full-back O'Donoghue past the hour mark.

Soon after, an overlap from an attacking scrum saw centre Stephen O'Neill lay off for Donovan to cross for his second try in as many games. Mark O'Neill's 67th minute conversion put Terenure ahead for the first time.

Mark O'Neill missed a 72nd minute penalty attempt but the result was effectively put beyond doubt when Moore cut through for a seven-pointer with five minutes left and Mary's prop Brian McGovern in the sin-bin.

With that, the Dr. Mick Smyth Cup and local bragging rights were in Terenure's grasp. O'Neill was wayward with two more kicks and gritty Mary's snaffled their second losing bonus point on the bounce thanks to Dunne's third successful penalty.

Referee: Nigel Correll (IRFU)