Jump to main content


UCD Punished By Fast-Finishing Young Munster

UCD Punished By Fast-Finishing Young Munster

Continuing the trend of second half comebacks in the Ulster Bank League this weekend, Young Munster staged a remarkable one to overhaul UCD 24-19 at Tom Clifford Park.

Ross Byrne landed two early penalties to get the students off to a satisfying start in Greenfields. The Ireland Under-20 out-half grabbed a third on the quarter hour mark.

The Cookies, who lost at Clontarf last time out, responded in the 25th minute when great approach work from centre Ed O'Keeffe teed up an unconverted score for winger Barry Gibbons.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

UCD were not long in cancelling that out though, moving 14-5 clear after replacement Harry McNulty, who came on for the injured Barry Daly in the 10th minute, made it over in the corner via good work in the build-up from Bobby Holland, Stephen Murphy and full-back Conall Doherty.

Home out-half Willie Staunton slotted a drop goal in response, however the absence of sin-binned winger Warren Kelly was exposed by UCD closing in on half-time as a quickly-taken lineout led to centre Murphy charging through for a classy unconverted score.

That gave Bobby Byrne's young side a deserved 19-8 lead and Young Munster had it all to do. Bit by bit, they got back in touch with Staunton drilling a penalty over six minutes into the second period.

An injury to inside centre Jordan Coghlan further hampered UCD as they began to lose their way and Munsters came more and more into the game.

Young forwards Diarmaid Dee and Luke O'Halloran made their presence felt as the Cookies took advantage of a UCD yellow card with a well-taken try from bustling centre Dan Goggin. Staunton converted to make it 19-18.

Head coach John Staunton gave youth its fling once more and teenage replacement David O'Mahony came on to play a vital role in deciding the outcome, with ex-Cork Constitution forward Yasin Browne also influential up front.

The 18-year-old O'Mahony from Adare coolly slotted two decisive penalties in the 75th and 80th minutes, following two earlier misses, to complete Munsters' memorable fight-back.

Referee: Eddie Hogan O'Connell (IRFU)