The Stage 4 Course is for Head Coaches working with advanced 15-a-side teams, with higher technical competencies and understanding of the game.
The course develops the Principles of Play through Functional Role Analysis of the Identities of rugby.
At the end of the course the coach is expected to develop individual players' abilities to undertake and adjust their specific roles in a changing environment within each of the identities of rugby.
Sport specific and generic modules are examined at a more advanced level, together with the introduction of modules which develop the coaches' ability to understand interpersonal relationships, team dynamics in conjunction with increasing the players' tactical appreciation.
The course develops the coach as 'Facilitator'.
• Head Coach position (actively coaching at an appropriate level - Stage 4)
• Stage 3 Coach Accreditation
• Assimilated - Proven senior/professional rugby playing or coaching experience *Priority will be given to Head Coaches working at the higher levels
Accreditation / License
• Full course attendance (2 weekends)
• Pass a Laws test - if not already completed
• Log 60 hours coaching (diary)
• Produce a Season Plan (technical, tactical, physiological and mental aspects)
• Complete a minimum of two Practical Coaching Observations
• Develop Mid-Season Player questionnaire & feedback report The IRFU reserves the right to modify, replace or add to accreditation requirements in accordance with updates to Coach Development programmes.
The IRFU Coach re-licensing programme is currently under development and due for launch in season 2014/2015.
It is envisaged that coaches who successfully complete accreditation will be re-licensed on a 3 yearly basis once they have fulfilled specific 'continuing professional development' (CPD) requirements during that period.
Liable to adjustment as required
Numbers per course:
40 maximum/15 minimum