Jump to main content


Murphy Helps Bohs Beat Lansdowne

Murphy Helps Bohs Beat Lansdowne

Munster’s Barry Murphy made a welcome return from a lengthy injury-enforced absence to play a crucial role in this All-Ireland League win for UL Bohemians.

Barry Murphy was introduced at half-time, replacing Ed Torrie, and it was his interception on halfway which clinched Bohs' victory as he raced in for a spectacular score which JJ Hanrahan converted.

In the opening half, persistent pressure eventually paid off for the home side when centre David Moloney crashed over for a try, but Hanrahan's conversion came back off the upright. That was in the 14th minute and five minutes later, Lansdowne number 10 Eoghan Hickey kicked a penalty for his side.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

The visitors fielded a talented line-up which included Kieran Lewis, Hickey, team captain John Lyne and Stephen Keogh.

But UL took the game to the Dubliners, particularly in the scrum where front rowers Dave Kilcoyne, Sean Henry, Pa O'Regan and replacement Eddie Rossiter impressed.

New half-backs Hanrahan and Derek Farrell, and influential lock Dave Foley, also stood out for the hosts.

An attempted clearance by Lansdowne was charged down by energetic flanker Kieran Essex in the 24th minute and the ball bounced into the hands of Munster's Tommy O'Donnell who went over untouched.

This time Hanrahan landed the conversion but the game was still there for either side when Hickey landed two more penalties, after 38 and 40 minutes, to make it 12-9 at the break.

However, Lansdowne, who had both Jack O'Connell and Keogh sin-binned, were held scoreless in the second half.

UL also had try scorer O'Donnell yellow carded, but their defence stood up to Lansdowne's advances and a long range penalty from Hickey bounced back off the post.

Murphy's try, with ten minutes remaining, capped off a fine display from Ian Costello's Bohs side who, after the game, lifted the Mick English Cup for the first time.

The special trophy commemorates 'Mick the Kick', the former Munster, Ireland and Lions player who lined out for both of these clubs during his stellar career.

Referee: Michael Black (IRFU)