Jump to main content


Leinster ‘A’ Qualify For British & Irish Cup Final

Leinster ‘A’ Qualify For British & Irish Cup Final

British & Irish Cup champions Munster ‘A’ were dethroned by their provincial rivals Leinster ‘A’ after a hard-fought semi-final tussle at Dooradoyle on Friday night.

Leinster began a busy cup weekend for the two provinces in winning style when they qualified for the final of the British & Irish cup with a hard earned 17-15 win over the holders in Limerick.

The game was crying out for a try and the fair sized crowd – which included Ireland interim head coach Les Kiss and coaching colleague Gert Smal – had to wait until ten minutes from the end for it to materialise.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

They crucial try fell to Leinster 'A' when busy winger Sam Coghlan Murray got in at the corner following a free-flowing back-line move, with the conversion going off target.

Munster 'A' had a chance to snatch the win in the final minutes, but reliable out-half JJ Hanrahan was unable to land the decisive penalty after being successful with five earlier attempts.

Leinster 'A' were never behind and they got off to the best possible start when the Munstermen were penalised inside two minutes and Noel Reid landed the kick which settled nerves for the visitors.

It was then Munster's turn for a shot at goal after 12 minutes and Hanrahan made it 3-3.

Indiscipline was proving costly for Munster 'A' and they conceded further penalties in the 24th and 28th minutes for going in at the side and on both occasions Reid found the target.

Munster 'A' kept in touch with a second Hanrahan penalty which was negatived when Reid was on target for the fourth time two minutes before the break with a kick from the 22 and straight in front of the posts.

It was 12-9 four minutes into the second half with Hanrahan's third penalty and after a break by Niall Ronan the young Kerryman made it 12-12, but Coghlan Murray's try clinched it for Leinster 'A' as they reached their first ever British & Irish Cup decider.

It was a deserved victory for Girvan Dempsey's young charges who gained revenge for a defeat to Munster 'A' at this stage of the competition twelve months ago. Ireland's interim head coach Les Kiss

They advance to the final where they will travel to either Bedford Blues or Newcastle Falcons, who meet in the second semi-final on Saturday afternoon.

Referee: Ian Tempest (England)