Jump to main content


Ulster Lose Way In Bourgoin

Ulster Lose Way In Bourgoin

Despite a flying start and an eleven point half-time lead Ulster were unable to hold off home side Bourgoin and lost their second Heineken Cup match in a row to complete a bad week for the province.

Match Gallery – Click Here

The game got off to an exciting start with Ulster attacking straight away and the large travelling support vocal as ever singing “Stand Up for the Ulstermen”.

Twelve minutes in and Ulster got the first points on the board with Kieron Dawson touching down following on from some excellent play from fly half Paddy Wallace. Paddy converted the try and Ulster stood at 0-7, Ulster had got the start they needed. A few moments later in the 15th minute Bourgoin were awarded a penalty which they duly converted, the score stood at 3-7.

Scottish winger Simon Danielli looked dangerous with the ball in hand and set up a couple of great runs. Danielli stole the show in the 22nd minute with a outstanding run to behind the posts where he took the score to 3-12, Wallace converted and Ulster looked confident at 3-14 ahead.

Minutes later Bourgoin threatened to take the lead but were stopped short of the line, a penalty was awarded and Bourgoin took the points stepping ever closer to Ulster’s lead at 6-14. In the 30th minute Ulster were awarded a penalty and despite the noise from the home supporters Wallace stayed calm and took the points for Ulster. Bourgoin drew ever closer to the Irish province kicking another penalty in the 38th minute and at half time the score stood at 9-17.

With former Ulster and Irish skipper Simon Best acting as water boy throughout the game the Ulster players seemed to take strength from him and in the first half alone produced some of their best rugby this season.

Bourgoin came out at the start of the second half strong and put Ulster under enormous pressure. With 15 minutes gone in the second half Bourgoin scored and the stadium came alive with the home supporters delighted that their side were drawing closer, the try was converted and the score stood at 16-17.

Just 6 minutes later things got worse for Ulster with the strong Bourgoin winger Coux touching down and taking the lead for the home side. Bourgoin 21-17 Ulster.

Ulster Coach Steve Williams made two substitutions in the 68th minute taking Kieron Dawson off and putting David Pollock on and former Bourgoin player Carlo Del Fava was also replaced with Ryan Caldwell.
In the final moments of the game the home side made a series of changes and attacked ulster time and time again and were awared a penalty which they converted to seal Ulster’s fate. Bourgoin 24 – 17 Ulster.

Ulster will be disappointed to not come away with a win after such a promising first half.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

Match report: UlsterRugby.ie