Jump to main content


Queen’s And Tullamore Win Rescheduled Fixtures

Queen’s And Tullamore Win Rescheduled Fixtures

Queen’s University and Tullamore posted wins in last Saturday’s two rescheduled Ulster Bank League games, with the Belfast students climbing into fourth place in Division 2A and the Offaly men now lying second in the 2C table.



Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

Sunday’s Well 15 Queen’s University 21, Irish Independent Park


Tullamore 44 Bangor 17, Spollanstown

Queen’s made it two victories in three league outings but were made to battle all the way by fast-finishing Sunday’s Well at Irish Independent Park on Saturday.

The University side led 13-3 at the interval, centre Paddy Farrell’s brilliant lung-bursting solo try from his own half giving them the early momentum. Out-half Jack Milligan, who landed the conversion and two penalties, kicked astutely out of hand and won the scrap for territory.

Ulster Academy forwards Zack McCall, Alex Thompson and Marcus Rea all impressed as the visitors’ pack who should have forced a second try from some late set piece pressure before half-time. However, Sunday’s Well dug their heels in and kept their line intact, with scrum half Peter Arigho snapping at his opposite number Jonny Stewart’s heels.

Arigho’s half-back partner Shane O’Riordan kicked a lone first half penalty for the hosts whose best try-scoring chance had come from a powerful break by number 8 Sean Glynn. Unfortunately, he was unable to get his offload away to the supporting Mark Chandler.

Turning around with the wind at their backs, the ‘Well had a decent third quarter until the visitors grabbed their second try on the hour mark. Just like Farrell’s effort, it was another terrific individual score. This time, long-striding replacement Ali Burke raced half the length of the pitch with power and speed – and a mean sidestep – to touch down wide on the right.

Credit to the Corkmen, they launched a furious fight-back while 18-3 down. Into the final 10 minutes, replacement Shane Desmond crossed for their first try from an overlap, rewarding Michael Moynihan, Kieran Stokes and Conor O’Brien for their initial good work in a free-flowing attack.

O’Riordan converted and the ‘Well nabbed their second try with three minutes remaining, influential replacement Stokes linking with full-back Chandler who cut a great line to run in an unconverted effort on the left – 18-15.

The home side then hunted for a match-winning try, working a potential overlap on the right but a Queen’s interception turned the tide. Eoin Hurley’s excellent tackle saved a try but the visitors earned a penalty soon after which replacement Ali Wright slotted over for 21-15 final scoreline.

Meanwhile, a depleted Bangor team went down heavily to Tullamore who put together their best performance for some time in a 44-17 bonus point victory at home.

This Division 2C tie at Spollanstown was one-sided from the off, Tullamore full-back Karl Dunne kicking a penalty and then following up with a well-taken seventh-minute try to the left of the posts for 10-0.

Recent debutant centre Ben Ridgeway added a second try on the half hour mark, after Dylan Kelso’s chip through on the left wing had exposed the Bangor defence. Dunne converted and also added the extras to Tom Gilligan’s tremendous sidestepping score from near halfway, leaving the visitors 27-0 behind at the break.

Below-par Bangor improved on the resumption with blindside David Bradford threatening on a solo break, but Tullamore netted their bonus point in the 61st minute when second row Leon Martin got in on the scoring act as he raided in from the right.

Two minutes later, Bangor kicked a penalty to touch, won the lineout and patient recycling led to hooker Conor Piper touching down on the left. With Tullamore replacement Colm Heffernan sin-binned for a late tackle, the Ulstermen took full advantage as player-coach Jason Morgan and Mark Widdowson combined to tee up winger Adam McCusker for a seven-pointer.

However, 32-12 is as close as Bangor got. Ridgeway completed his brace in the 72nd minute after his initial cross-field kick found Kelso, and there was still time for two more tries at either end as Tullamore’s clinical and exciting style of play was rewarded with six touchdowns in all.