Current and former Ireland rugby internationals have assisted the IRFU’s Nutrition Department to develop an e-learning resource for young rugby players which will help them to maximise their performance through nutrition.
Paul O’Connell, Tommy Bowe, Robbie Henshaw, Andrew Trimble, Rob Kearney, Conor Murray and Cian Healy all contributed to the nutrition e-learning tool which contains videos of the players speaking about how they manage the different elements of their performance nutrition.
The IRFU’s Nutrition e-learning resource is for male rugby players aged between 15-18 years of age and contains 10 modules covering Protein, Carbohydrates, Calories, Weight, Hydration, Pre-match Day Nutrition, Match-Day Nutrition, Immunity, Supplements and Off-Season Nutrition.
Nora Ní Fhlannagáin, the IRFU’s Performance Nutritionist who works with the national and provincial underage representative squads, commented: “The IRFU’s nutrition e-learning tool will give young rugby players a great insight into how nutrition can affect and aid performance on the field.
“Developing good habits early is essential as is understanding what fuels your body and aides muscle recovery after training and matches. The aim of this tool is to educate and engage young players so that they understand the performance benefits of nutrition.”
All registered players between the ages of 15-18 years of age can access the e-learning tool at www.irishrugby.ie/nutrition.
About the IRFU’s Nutrition E-Learning Tool –
– It is specifically designed for male rugby players between the ages of 15-18 years of age
– It features unique content generated by Ireland’s rugby stars – Paul O’Connell, Robbie Henshaw, Conor Murray, Rob Kearney, Cian Healy, Tommy Bowe and Andrew Trimble
– It contains 10 modules with a test element at the end of each module
– Users must successfully complete the test at the end of each module to advance
– The 10 modules cover the following topics: Protein, Carbohydrates, Calories, Weight, Hydration, Pre-match Day Nutrition, Match-Day Nutrition, immunity, Supplements, Off-Season Nutrition
– All registered rugby players between the ages of 15-18 years of age can access the tool at www.irishrugby.ie/nutrition