Jump to main content



Old Belvedere Edge Out Rivals Clontarf

Old Belvedere Edge Out Rivals Clontarf

A strong first half showing by Division 1B side Old Belvedere saw them turn the tables on Division 1A outfit Clontarf on home soil at Anglesea Road on Saturday afternoon.

AIB CUP: THIRD ROUND: Saturday, November 7


Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

Scorers: Old Belvedere: Try: David Mongan; Pens: Conal Keane 4
Clontarf: Try: Sean Carey; Pens: Martin Dufficy 2, Peter O’Brien

In-form ‘Belvo winger David Mongan crossed for his sixth try in AIB League and Cup fare this season as Phil Werahiko’s men made it through to the cup’s quarter-final stage, where they face a trip to Ballymena on November 21.

Despite poor weather conditions across the country, only a slight wind prevailed during this game which favoured the hosts in the opening half.

This third round tie offered the added spice of having the Jack Whelan Cup to play for, with the late Jack having strong connections with both clubs.

And both teams certainly did not disappoint, offering up a well-contested encounter which was on a knife edge until Conal Keane’s 74th-minute penalty kick steered Old Belvedere into the last-eight.

Wind-assisted ‘Belvo showed signs of the form which sees them currently top Division 1B of the AIB League as their pack dominated in the opening stages.

Clontarf were offered little in the possession stakes as determined ‘Belvo dug in from the off with Keane slotting over the first of his four penalties after six minutes.

Belvedere kept up the pressure and their only try of the contest coming in the 13th minute when right winger Mongan burst over the line after a sustained spell of possession.

With Keane wide from the resulting conversion, Clontarf came thundering back as the visitors finally got off the mark.

Martin Dufficy’s brace of penalties in the 15th and 22nd minutes helped cut the gap to two points.

But two similar efforts from Keane gave ‘Belvo some added cushion as they turned around at half-time with a 14-6 advantage.

Dufficy made way for Peter O’Brien on the restart, and Clontarf threw caution to the wind as they began to chase the game.

A 57th minute penalty from O’Brien coupled with a Sean Carey try, with 12 minutes remaining, tied up this exciting contest for the first time.

It was what Clontarf deserved after a composed second half display, but the hosts crucially had the final say as Keane coolly slotted over his fourth penalty for the match-winning score.