Jump to main content


Unbeaten Blackrock Keep Hold Of Top Spot

Unbeaten Blackrock Keep Hold Of Top Spot

Blackrock College scrum half David Moore clinched a hard-fought 10-3 victory over Cork Constitution at Stradbrook on Saturday, scoring a 75th minute try to maintain his side’s unbeaten run in AIB League Division 1A.

AIB LEAGUE: DIVISION 1A: Saturday, October 24


Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

Scorers: Blackrock College: Try: David Moore; Con: James Power; Pen: James Power
Cork Constitution: Pen: Richie Lane

After a period of intense pressure from the home side, Blackrock scrum half David Moore managed to use some quick thinking to slip through a gap in the Cork Con defence from two metres out and score the game’s only try.

Extremely tough weather conditions ensured that this was not going to be a day for the quick running rugby that ‘Rock usually enjoy.

However, the hosts’ forwards proved, with a spirited performance, that they have the fighting capabilities to prevail in a hard dogfight.

Memories of the 48-14 hammering of Garryowen at Stradbrook two weeks ago were quickly forgotten for ‘Rock’s band of supporters as their side saw much sterner opposition in a strong Cork Con outfit.

The visitors, coached by Brian Walsh, dealt with the blustery conditions very well and they looked slightly the better team for most of the first half.

But despite a fair amount of possession, Constitution were unable to apply the finishing touches to get the better of their hosts.

Some fierce early exchanges made for a lively opening as both defences were subjected to a flurry of attacks. Blackrock out-half James Power managed to break the deadlock with a comfortably-struck penalty after four minutes but the scoreline remained at 3-0 for the rest of the first half.

One had to feel that Cork Con were heavy favourites going into the second half as they had the advantage of playing with a very strong wind.

AIB Club international Richie Lane had the opportunity to kick three penalties early in the second period but he only managed to convert one of them to put the teams level.

Coming into the final ten minutes, it was still level pegging as both defences seemed able to prevent any tries.

However, this strong ‘Rock side, coached by Emmet Farrell and Barry Gibney, piled on the pressure in a last-gasp effort to break the Leesiders’ line.

Moore was able to capitalise on a sleepy Cork Con defence at the breakdown to ultimately decide the match.

After this battling victory, Blackrock stay at the top of the table in Division 1A, a fact that will give them plenty of confidence going into a tough match next week away to Clontarf.