Jump to main content


Garryowen Set Up All-Limerick Semi-Final

Garryowen Set Up All-Limerick Semi-Final

Garryowen ran riot at Dooradoyle on Saturday afternoon as they recovered from last week’s defeat at Dolphin to put eight tries past a flat Galwegians side.

AIB LEAGUE: DIVISION ONE: Saturday, April 18


Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

Scorers: Garryowen: Tries: Conan Doyle 2, Lorcan Bourke 2, Ronan O’Mahony 3, Kieran Lewis; Cons: Conor Kilroy 7
Galwegians: Try: John Cleary

‘Wegians, in fairness, had little but pride to play for. Their win over Terenure College seven days ago secured their Division One status for another year but for Garryowen this was the most important game of the season.

Greig Oliver’s side needed a bonus point win to secure their place in the semi-finals and they did just that – although their eight-try blitz was not enough to earn them a home draw.

Next Saturday, second will play third as old foes Shannon and Garryowen go head-to-head at this stage of the competition for the second year running. Shannon will need no reminder about last year’s 31-6 defeat at Coonagh.

Getting back on track after Dolphin had ended their 11-match unbeaten run in the league, Garryowen put in a superb first half performance against ‘Wegians.

They were 21-5 up at half-time and Ireland Under-20 winger Ronan O’Mahony was the star performer with three tries.

It took only five minutes for Conan Doyle to go in for the first try from close range, with full-back Conor Kilroy adding the conversion.

Kilroy had an excellent day with the boot, landing seven of the eight conversions to boost his points tally for the league campaign to 164 points. One of his kicks was an excellent slot from the touchline.

John Cleary scored a spectacular try all the way from the halfway line for Galwegians. Cleary’s 10th try of the season raised hopes of a close contest.

But Gerry Hurley set up Doyle for his second try after 25 minutes and Lorcan Bourke outpaced the defence to go in at the corner for Garryowen’s third.

O’Mahony notched his first after 44 minutes and he flew in again just two minutes later.

The scoring ease up a bit after that as ‘Wegians steadied themselves but Bourke collected his second try after 81 minutes before Munster’s Kieran Lewis rounded off a great afternoon for last season’s beaten finalists.