Click here for a match preview of Ulster’s first game of the new Magners League season – the visit of Llanelli Scarlets to Ravenhill.
…Andrew Maxwell who has scored two tries in the last two meetings between Ulster and the Scarlets…
MAGNERS LEAGUE: Saturday, September 2
ULSTER v LLANELLI SCARLETS, 7.30pm (live Setanta Sports Ireland)
Ulster: Bryn Cunningham; Mark Bartholomeusz, Paul Steinmetz, Paddy Wallace, Andrew Maxwell; David Humphreys, Kieran Campbell; Justin Fitzpatrick, Paul Shields, Tom Court, Justin Harrison (capt), Tim Barker, Stephen Ferris, Neil McMillan, Roger Wilson.
Replacements: Nigel Brady, Declan Fitzpatrick, Matt McCullough, Kieron Dawson, Paul Marshall, Kevin Maggs, Scott Young.
Llanelli: Martyn Thomas; Dafydd James, Regan King, Gavin Evans, Darren Daniel; Stephen Jones, Dwayne Peel (capt); Phil John, Matthew Rees, John Davies, Lou Reed, Scott Macleod, Inoke Afeaki, Gavin Thomas, Nathan Thomas.
Replacements: Craig Dunlea, Ken Owens, Adam Jones, Alix Popham, Clive Stuart-Smith, Ceiron Thomas, Matthew Watkins.
Referee: Andy Ireland (Scotland)
Touch Judges: David Keane, Eanna O’Dowd (both Ireland)
PREVIOUS LEAGUE MEETINGS:
February 2004 – Ulster 10 Llanelli 9, Ravenhill
May 2004 – Llanelli 23 Ulster 16, Stradey Park
November 2004 – Llanelli 22 Ulster 9, Stradey Park
April 2005 – Ulster 16 Llanelli 3, Ravenhill
January 2006 – Ulster 30 Llanelli 13, Ravenhill
May 2006 – Llanelli 12 Ulster 12, Stradey Park
– Ulster, the reigning league champions, will be out to preserve the statistic that the defending champions have so far always managed to win their opening match of the new league season
– Ulster are undefeated in their last ten league matches since they lost to Connacht (22-12) on New Year’s Eve last year
– Llanelli Scarlets are embarking on their first ever league match without Gareth Jenkins at the helm and they will be anxious to win an away match for the first time in 2006 – their last victory away from their Stradey Park home was at the Dragons (28-16) last December. The Scarlets have not won in Ireland since they defeated Connacht (18-11) in Athlone in February 2005
– The last time these two sides met they shared the only drawn match during the whole 2005/06 league season
– Ireland ‘A’ winger Andrew Maxwell is sure to be a marked man at Ravenhill on Saturday – he scored a try in both of the sides’ meetings last season and will be gunning for a third