The IRFU is seeking to appoint a National Defence Coach. This is a key position within the National Management Team. Click for more details
Irish Rugby Football Union
The Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) is the governing body of the sport in Ireland. It is dedicated to the development, growth and success of rugby football in Ireland and has over 300 technical, professional rugby-playing and support staff.
National Defence Coach
The IRFU is seeking to appoint a National Defence Coach. This is a key position within the National Management Team and the individual appointed will be responsible for providing expertise, knowledge and information in relation to the playing performance of the National Squad in conjunction with the National Team Coach and with Provincial and Age Grade Teams in consultation with their respective management /coaching staff.
The individual appointed will be required to operate at the cutting-edge of professional sport in Ireland and will be responsible for delivering professional, effective and timely coaching practices which will be implemented in line with best practice.
The principal areas of accountability will be:
– Oversee a training programme to implement the national playing style particularly in relation to defensive play.
– Assist in implementation of the agreed plan for the optimum preparation and performance of the Senior Irish Rugby Team leading up to RWC 2007 and all Senior Irish Rugby Team Internationals up to the end of the Six Nations Championship 2008
– Attend and contribute to the coach education and development process of the IRFU and the IRFU Elite Development processes, including Ireland U21’s / U19’s when not on Senior Irish Rugby Team duty
– Liaise with Provincial Coaching Directors to develop greater synergies between National and Provincial approach where appropriate
– Promote greater awareness of the key elements of defensive strategy options in the modern professional game
– Champion and lead initiatives to develop mental flexibility and adaptability and to hone practical defensive skills at all levels across the professional player base.
Excellent management, organisational, communication and teamwork skills will be a prerequisite for this position, along with 4 – 5 years’ coaching experience at a senior level in a professional rugby environment.
To apply for this position, please forward your Curriculum Vitae with a covering letter of not more than one page highlighting relevant experience to:
Ms Jane McCarthy
Human Resources Officer
Irish Rugby Football Union
56 Lansdowne Road,
The closing date for applications is Friday 08 July 2005
Applications through email can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org