Jump to main content


AIB League – Garryowen Go Top

AIB League – Garryowen Go Top

Garryowen moved to the top of the Division One after a comprehensive 40-7 win over faltering Co Carlow in the AIB League.

Garryowen moved to the top of the Division One after a comprehensive 40-7 win over faltering Co Carlow in the AIB League.

Carlow who last week lost a three year unbeaten home run to DLSP registered just one try through their captain, Andy Melville, but Garryowen proved too strong in the second half running in four tries.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

And with Shannon not playing until tomorrow, Clontarf also took advantage when producing a late comeback at IRFU headquarters. Trailing Lansdowne 19-6 with ten minutes to go, the Leinster Senior Cup holders produced a late flourish with tries from James Downey and Mike Walls taking them to within a point of their hosts. But just when it seemed that the home side might hold on to victory, Clontarf clinched victory with a last gasp drop goal from Alan Reddan.

That win took Clontarf into second place while at the bottom, struggling Galwegians and Ballymena stole a march on DLSP with surprise victories against St Mary’s College and UCD respectively. Galwegians held a 15-3 lead over Mary’s at the break but Mary’s countered with two second half tries from James Norton and Karl Jennings to go 17-15 ahead.But history sadly repeated itself for the visitors when, with the last kick of the game, Galwegians outhalf Bryan Shelbourne claimed victory for the home side with his second successful penalty of the afternoon.

At Belfield, Ballymena recorded a 31-19 win over UCD to leapfrog over DLSP who lost to 18-29 Blackrock at Kilternan.They got off to the worst possible start when Gary Brown went over for Blackrock’s first try with just a minute gone. Simon Broughton taking charge of the kicking in the absence of Connaught player, Damien Mc Cabe, kept his team in touch with two penalties but Rock went back in front when Gavin Mc Carthy went over on the half hour after John Fitzgerald had collected in the lineout. But a Jason Critchley intercepted try put DLSP back on level terms before the break only for Blackrock to pull away again with Rory Rogers charging down an attempted clearance from Mark Cross. DLSP again showed their mettle when full back Eddie Devitt took a long pass to score on the left but Rock managed to keep their noses in front through the kicking of Conor Gilroy who landed four penalties.

The other game in Division One saw Terenure move into the top four, albeit for twenty four hours with a comprehensive 38-6 win over Buccanneers.

Meanwhile in Division Two, Belfast Harlequins made it eight straight wins with a 31-13 win over Malone and a return to Division one looks ever more likely.

In Division Three, Dublin University stay top as a result of their 17-17 draw with Corinthians at College Park.