Dr. Rod McLoughlin has a vast array of experience and achievements in the field of High Performance Sports Medicine including, most recently, in his role as Director of Medicine, Irish Institute of Sport and as Olympic Medical Officer, roles which he will continue.
Other key appointments held by Dr. McLoughlin include:
- Medical Officer at the Bejing and London Olympics
- Past board member and Treasurer of the Faculty of Sport & Exercise Medicine and presently on a number of committees
- President Irish Sports Medicine Association (2003-2005)
- Member Irish Sports Council Food and Supplements Committee (2008-2010)
- Member Gaelic Games Medical and Scientific Committee (2006-2012)
Commenting on his appointment as IRFU Head of Medical Services, Dr. McLoughlin said: "I am very pleased and excited to be the joining the IRFU as Head of Medical Services.
"There is already in existence a hugely talented team of experts and I see one of my key roles as continuing the integration of this multi-disciplinary medical expertise into a unit which will further enhance the medical support around our professional and domestic games."