This course is for coaches dealing with players at Stage 5 of the IRFU Long Term Player Development (LTPD).
At this level the focus is:
Game - Results
Player - Innovation
Coach - Empowerment
The first part of the programme took place at the Grand Hotel in Malahide over five days (Wednesday, May 21 - Sunday, May 25).
The six coaches participating in the programme for the next two years are Ian Costello (UL Bohemians), Greig Oliver (Garryowen), Andy Wood (Clontarf), Kevin West (Terenure College), Steve Ford (Dolphin) and Nigel Carolan (Connacht 'A').
The focus of the five days was on planning and preparation. The facilitators for the modules were:
• Game Planning & Role of the Coach - Steve Aboud - National Coach Development Manager, IRFU
• Mental Preparation - Dr. PJ Smyth - Senior lecturer, Physical Education, UL
• Personality Profiling - PTP Associates - Claire Whittington: Senior consultant, and Ces Shaw, Managing Consultant
The coaches are now required to prepare and produce by August, their operational plan for the coming season, which will include:
• Annual programme
• Periodised fitness plan for the season
• Job descriptions
• Team profile
• Game plan, patterns of play and tactical options
For more information on IRFU Coaching, please click here
Stephen Aboud - IRFU
National Coach Development Manager