The IRFU is still the only rugby union to run a certified conditioning course.
One of the highlights of the course was Trevor Brennan giving an insight into the Stade Toulouse player development system and Gil Stevenson (Chairman of the UKSCA) presenting on long term physical development.
The week proved to be very enjoyable with coaches and presenters mixing well during the two weeks and many contacts made between coaches and presenters for future development.
The course is run by -
Course Director: Dr Liam Hennessy
Course Manager: Des Ryan
Course Administrator: Niamh Nash
Topics covered were -
Principles, Demands, Needs, Warm Ups, Prehab, Funtional assessment, Integrated Conditioning, Planning & Periodisation, Testing, Nutrition, Strength, Speed, LTPD, Fundamental Movement Skills.
The presenters were -
* Des Ryan IRFU Fitness Development Manager
* Paul Pook: ex-Harlequins Conditioning Coach and expert in Core Conditioning
* Phil Glasgow Head of Physiotherapy SINI
* Chris Shields IRFU Ulster Sub Academy Fitness Advisor
* Declan Gamble SINI
* Ruth Wood Martin IRFU Performance Nutritionist
* Rodney Kennedy Univerity of Ulster Sport Science Dept.
* Sami Dowling IRFU Leinster Sub Academy Fitness Advisor
* Chris Webster PDM Ulster Branch
* Paudi Roche IRFU Munster Sub Academy Fitness Advisor
* John Casey Head Physiotherapist Munster
* Rosemary Daniel NCTC
* Trevor Brennan Stade Toulouse
* Gil Stevenson UKSCA
* Colin Buckley: IAWA Coach Education Director
* Martin Zagiega; Silver medalist Superheavy weight Olympics in Seoul 1988 and full-time German weight lifting Coach
* Dr PJ Smyth: Head of Motor Development in PE and Sports Science at University of Limerick
The coaches are now required to undertake the accreditation process which if successful will lead to the coach being a confident and competent conditioner.
For more information on the Certified Conditioning Programme, please click here.