Jump to main content


UL Bohs Overhauled By In-Form Buccs

UL Bohs Overhauled By In-Form Buccs

A converted try 14 minutes into the second half gave Buccaneers a tight but deserved victory over Division 1B rivals UL Bohemians at Annacotty.

Buccaneers displayed wonderful mettle when despite the absence through injury of key duo Jack Carty and Michael Kearney, they twice came from behind to prevail in a keenly-contested tussle.

Underfoot conditions were better than expected and rain held off for the duration of the match, leaving a downfield breeze as the only weather condition for the players to contend with.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

UL Bohs, strengthened by the return of Munster flanker Tommy O'Donnell, had first assistance of the elements and they were quickly on the scoreboard when JJ Hanrahan landed a fifth minute penalty after Buccs were pinged at scrum time.

The swirling wind posed problems for both place-kickers who were off target in the first half, at the end of which Bohs were 8-5 to the good.

Buccaneers' first attack of menace in the 16th minute was stopped by a high tackle on full-back John O'Brien and, when Cathal Sheridan prevented the visitors taking the resultant penalty quickly, the UL Bohs scrum half was duly yellow carded.

Buccs soon made their numerical superiority pay when, after captain Kolo Kiripati had made good ground, Mark Dolan cleverly switched the axis of attack and O'Brien came steaming through for a 19th minute touchdown which Adam Kennedy could not convert from the right touchline.

Ben Martin replaced Chris Nairn on the wing for the home side who scored a spectacular try after 24 minutes.

They took a quick lineout throw inside their own 22, the ball was then moved wide and when Martin McPhail made a superb break through the middle, Darren Moroney was at his shoulder to take the pass and race in for a try that Hanrahan was unable to convert.

It was a controversial try as Martin had carried the ball into touch in the lead up to it, and it should have been a Buccaneers lineout. However, UL managed to take a quick one and play was allowed to continued.

Into the second half, Buccs regained a lead that they would not relinquish after 52 minutes. The ever alert Dolan chased his own deft kick ahead to good effect to force a close-in lineout for Buccs from which replacement prop Martin Staunton crashed over for the decisive try after some good phases by the Pirates.

Out-half Kennedy slotted over the conversion and, surprisingly, the remainder of the game proved scoreless although twice Buccs could have added to their tally.

Firstly, Denis Buckley somehow stole possession but Mark McCrea took the wrong option in the follow up and then Shane Layden was tackled late after kicking over the last defender in the dying moments but UL Bohs escaped any punishment.

Referee: Eanna O'Dowd (IRFU)