Jump to main content


UL Bohs Get Back To Winning Ways

UL Bohs Get Back To Winning Ways

UL Bohemians ended a run of four successive league defeats as they got the better of All-Ireland Cup semi-finalists Dungannon at Annacotty.

Bohs got off to the best possible start when Darren Moroney capitalised on slack defending to glide through a gap for a try after only three minutes. Young out-half JJ Hanrahan converted for a 7-0 lead.

He also added the points to Martin McPhail's try on the quarter hour, and team captain McPhail was a huge influence for UL on the day.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

Lock Aaron Fry kept Dungannon in touch with a converted try after 25 minutes. Busy flanker Ali Birch broke forward and a quick recycle sent Fry diving over. The extras were added by out-half Michael Lawton.

But Hanrahan quickly added a penalty for the home side, after hooker Adam Duhig was pinged for a ruck offence.

And when UL prop David Kilcoyne touched down after a hack through and good work from the home pack, the lead looked decisive at 22-7.

Lawton (32 minutes) and Hanrahan (40) exchanged penalties to leave the half-time score at 25-10 in favour of an impressive UL outfit.

To the delight of the home supporters, a slick back-line move sent winger David Moloney over for the bonus point try, five minutes into the second half, and again Hanrahan converted.

Dungannon did not give up without a fight and tries from full-back Conor Gaston and Birch set the stage for an exciting finish.

Gaston was on hand to finish off a move that was started by a blistering break from Lawton, and Birch crossed in the 78th minute after replacements Callum Threlfall and Stuart McKenzie had made an impact with ball in hand.

But Bohs hung on to repeat their win of last October at Stevenson Park, with the result moving them up to fourth in the table.

To add to Dungannon's woes, Lawton missed a late penalty which looked well within his range, leaving Justin Fitzpatrick's men without a bonus point for the long journey back home.

Referee: Dudley Phillips (IRFU)