Jump to main content


Shannon Gain Revenge On St. Mary’s

Shannon Gain Revenge On St. Mary’s

Shannon put their defeat to Garryowen behind them by outlasting St. Mary’s College at Coonagh in a Division 1A game ruined by constant rain.

St. Mary's, who throttled Shannon 53-0 back in Dublin in October, hit the front in the third minute when lock Ciaran Ruddock got in for a try which Gavin Dunne converted.

That score served as a wake-up call for Shannon as memories of the two soft second half tries they conceded against Garryowen looked like coming back to haunt them.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

17 minutes were on the clock when young out-half Gareth Quinn McDonogh opened Shannon's account from a penalty. The Ireland Under-20 international started in place of the injured Tadhg Bennett.

The opening try came Shannon's way three minutes before half-time. Winger Luke O'Dea touched down after a series of assaults on the visitors' try-line looked like yielding nothing.

Quinn McDonogh added the conversion and in injury-time, the home side struck again. In the build-up to the try there were nine phases of play before number 8 David Quinlan dotted down for his third score of the campaign.

17-7 in arrears, St. Mary's had their tighthead prop Colm McMahon sent to the sin-bin in the 51st minute and Quinn McDonogh landed the resulting penalty.

The visitors, who remain third in the table despite this defeat, kept battling away. Full-back Dunne kicked a penalty and lock Damian Hall garnered a losing bonus point with a try five minutes from the end.

Meanwhile, prop Marcus Horan has suffered another setback in his bid to regain his place in the Munster and Ireland teams.

Horan was out for several months with a wrist injury and returned to play 51 minutes for Shannon against Garryowen in the Ulster Bank League last week.

He was named in the Shannon side to play St. Mary's at Coonagh, but had to withdraw with a 'slight twinge to his neck', according to a club spokesman.

The 33-year-old must get game-time before he can return for the province and now seems unlikely to feature for Munster against Benetton Treviso next weekend.

Referee: Michael Black (IRFU)