Jump to main content


PWC logo

Quinn Hat-Trick Inspires Ireland Under-19s To Victory

Quinn Hat-Trick Inspires Ireland Under-19s To Victory

The Ireland Under-19s overcame the disappointment of their narrow defeat to France when they beat a strong England outfit 22-10 at Sunbury on Saturday.

The Ireland Under-19s, coached by Colin McEntee and Nigel Carolan, started the game impressively taking the opportunity to put the experienced England team under pressure.

Encouraged by the vocal support of a large group of parents and friends, they took play deep into England territory and displayed great patience close to the try-line.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

Retaining possession effectively, it was only a matter of time before Ireland scored. It was fitting that the first try of the game was scored by impressive flanker and captain Conor Joyce.

He blasted past a hesitant England defence to touch down under the posts after 12 minutes of play. Centre Thomas Daly added the conversion for a well-deserved 7-0 lead.

Ireland lost two players to injury a short time later with Rory Scholes being replaced on the left wing by Eoghan Quinn and hooker Bryan Byrne made way for John Andrew.

Quinn had an immediate impact when he took advantage of good work from his back-line colleagues to run in for a try with his first touch of the ball in the 21st minute. The conversion attempt was unsuccessful.

Five minutes later, the elusive Quinn scored his second try of the game when he gathered a clever pass from Andrew to scamper over and score an unconverted effort in the corner.

The shell-shocked England side made a couple of rare incursions into Irish territory and had a couple of penalty opportunities to reduce the arrears but could not get any points on the board.

Ireland finished the first half in the ascendancy with Quinn completing his hat-trick of tries when he finished off an opportunity created for him by very good work from Robbie Henshaw and Daly, giving the visitors a 22-0 interval lead.

The second half saw England make a number of changes by bringing on some of their successful Under-20 Six Nations players.

They stepped up their level of performance and began to ask questions of the visitors. However, they found the Irish defence well organised and in no mood to let anyone through.

Despite having to defend for long periods of time in the third quarter, McEntee's younsters still found opportunities to take play deep into England territory. They were unfortunate not to score at least two more tries but it was not to be.

England managed to reduce the arrears to 22-5 with a try midway through the second period. They touched down after a series of quick rucks created the opportunity for their backs to use the space and score out wide.

Both sides made changes with Niall Horan and Jamie Dever replacing Edward Byrne and Chris Taylor in the Irish front row, Sean McCarthy also came in for Gavin Thornbury in the second row, while Donagh Lawler took over from Josh van der Flier in the very impressive back row.

Barry Digby was introduced at scrum half for Dave Shanahan, whose half-back partner Steve Crosbie made way for Harry McNulty in a reshuffled backs division.

The final play of the game saw England score their second unconverted try, but the Irish were not to be denied a terrific away victory over a quality English side.