Jump to main content


Quinlan Kicks Cork Con To Late Win

Quinlan Kicks Cork Con To Late Win

Cork Constitution’s resurgence continued as they rose to third in the Division 1A table on the back of a thrilling 18-17 triumph over a determined Old Belvedere side.

Munster Under-20 starlet Tomas Quinlan was the toast of Temple Hill after his 84th minute drop goal, in the last play, saw Constitution prevail in dramatic circumstances.

Although Tom Tierney's men conceded a try just before the break to reduce their lead to 15-11, their play up to that point had suggested that they could win this round 9 fixture with something to spare.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

However, Old Belvedere are nothing if not competitive, and always give a good account of themselves. In this case, they were decidedly unfortunate as they held sway for much of the second half, and only capitulated in the final play.

Cork Con, however, will point to some bad luck at times, especially when replacement flanker Sonny Dwyer had a clear run in to the try line, but when tackled from behind, the ball was knocked from his grasp as he dived for the line.

'Belvo goal-kicker Josh Glynn opened the scoring with a third minute penalty which was cancelled out by Darragh Lyons eight minutes later.

The hosts scored their first try in the 19th minute when centre Michael Keyes sliced through the Belvedere defence. Constitution threatened again in the 26th minute when Keyes' centre partner Niall Kenneally intercepted on halfway and was only caught just before the whitewash.

A five-metre scrum followed, Belvedere were penalised for collapsing and a penalty try was awarded. Lyons slotted the conversion for a 15-3 advantage.

But 'Belvo bounced back strongly before the break, with Glynn landing a 33rd minute penalty and four minutes later classy full-back Daniel Riordan popped up on the right wing to run in a typically opportunist try which went unconverted.

With the arrears reduced to 15-11, Glynn missed a couple of penalty chances in the second period before nailing one in the 58th minute. He followed up with another accurate kick in the 69th minute to give the Dubliners a 17-15 lead, with Cork Con flanker James Ryan in the sin-bin.

The final minutes were frantic as Constitution tried to salvage the game. After a series of rucks and mauls near the Belvedere line, Quinlan who had replaced Lyons at out-half, was just wide with a drop goal attempt.

Then came Dwyer's dramatic knock forward in the tackle, with the line at his mercy, and finally Quinlan got a second drop goal opportunity which he crucially took with aplomb this time.

Referee: Olly Hodges (IRFU)