Jump to main content


Lansdowne Storm To Six-Try Victory

Lansdowne Storm To Six-Try Victory

Matt Healy helped himself to two tries as Mike Ruddock’s Lansdowne side recorded an impressive 26-point victory over Young Munster in an entertaining Ulster Bank League Division 1A encounter.

This bonus point success sees Lansdowne leapfrogging Cork Constitution in the league table, and also puts them just three points behind third-placed Young Munster, who are now out of the title race with two rounds remaining.

The Limerick men would have entered this game with plenty of confidence, but it was their hosts who had the better of the opening exchanges.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

Tries inside the opening five minutes from Matt Healy and flanker Jason Kelly gave the headquarters club an early cushion of 12 points.

Young Munster did eventually settle into the contest, and they opened their account with a well-worked try of their own from the pacy Darragh O'Neill.

But Lansdowne were rampant in possession, and they registered their third try of the afternoon 17 minutes in courtesy of Leinster 'A' star John Cooney.

The hosts then increased their advantage to 14 points following an expertly-taken drop goal from the accurate Craig Ronaldson.

But Munsters forged their way back into the proceedings when prop Ger Flaherty finished off a long maul to the right of the Lansdowne posts.

Willie Staunton was off target with his subsequent conversion, however, and his opposite number Ronaldson took full advantage by knocking over a penalty after 32 minutes which ensured that Lansdowne took a sizeable 25-13 lead with them into the second period.

Munsters made bright start to the second half but, just when it looked like they might get through, they were caught on the break as Healy mustered up a breakaway try 13 minutes after the resumption.

This was a major setback to Young Munster's chances, though they did give themselves a lifeline just three minutes after Healy's second five-pointer, when Neville Melbourne drove over for their second try of the game.

However, despite their best endeavours, they were unable to breach a stern Lansdowne rearguard any further, and Mike Ruddock's men rubbed further salt into the wounds of the Cookies by adding two more converted tries.

They came from the excellent Ronaldson and Cian Aherne, who was put through in stoppage time via terrific build-up play by replacement Kieran Essex, as Lansdowne eased over the finish line.

Referee: Leo Colgan (IRFU)