Jump to main content


Lansdowne Burst Clear For Bonus Point

Lansdowne Burst Clear For Bonus Point

Lansdowne strung together two successive wins for the first time in this season’s Ulster Bank League, with a brace of tries each from Matt Healy and Ciaran O’Boyle steering them past Dungannon.

Despite the 29-point deficit, the first half on the Aviva Stadium's back pitch was a very tight affair and Lansdowne could have been the cause of their own downfall.

Following Matt Healy's well-worked try inside the opening 10 minutes, and Eoghan Hickey's conversion, Dungannon found new life.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

Firstly, out-half Michael Lawton kicked them back into the game when Lansdowne indiscipline gave him a penalty opportunity on 12 minutes.

Then, a turning point in the game was the yellow card for Lansdowne winger Ciaran O'Boyle who came in from the side of the ruck and kicked the ball away.

But the home side's ability to hold Dungannon at bay was key and two penalties from Hickey gave Lansdowne a 13-3 half-time lead.

The opening five minutes of the second half saw both out-halves miss from near the touchline. But with 49 minutes played, Lansdowne put the game beyond doubt with three tries in a devastating six-minute spell.

Neilus Keogh brushed off tackles as the ball went along the line and eventually the opportunity came for O'Boyle to go over in the corner, with Hickey adding the conversion.

O'Boyle further made amends for his first half indiscretion when he darted over after the restart. He cruised past the Dungannon defence on their 10-metre line to touch down, but this time Hickey put the conversion to the right and wide.

In the 55th minute, it was Healy's turn to get his second try of the game. John Cooney fed Hickey off the back of the ruck and the out-half found Healy who stepped away from the cover to go over underneath the posts.

It was a just reward for Healy, who was the outstanding player on the day, and Hickey added the conversion.

With Dungannon firmly camped inside their own half, Lansdowne completed the rout in the 68th minute.

Breaking from their own 22, the inspirational Healy brushed past two tackles before offloading. It was then the turn of full-back David Hewitt to attack the Dungannon line and he set up Greg Stafford to score under the posts, with Hickey again adding the conversion.

Dungannon's Conor Gaston scored a breakaway try in the final minute, which was converted by Lawton, but it was far too little, too late for Dungannon.

Referee: Alain Rolland (IRFU)