Jump to main content


Keeshan Nails Kicks As Dolphin Prevail

Keeshan Nails Kicks As Dolphin Prevail

Dolphin made it back-to-back home wins in the Ulster Bank League as they got the better of Young Munster at Musgrave Park this afternoon.

Out-half Barry Keeshan led by example once more, helping the Cork men come from behind with an 18-point tally consisting of six penalty goals.

Munsters, who were 13-10 winners over Dolphin last month, have seen their title challenge come off the rails in recent weeks despite a positive first half display this afternoon.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

Mike Prendergast's troops had the wind at their backs in the opening 40 minutes and pushed ahead thanks to a fourth minute penalty from young out-half Shane O'Leary.

Keeshan had Dolphin level by the end of the first quarter with Munsters centre Mark Doyle becoming the first player sent to the sin-bin.

Dolphin were unable use that one-man advantage and after O'Leary struck a post from a penalty and home captain Niall Scannell saw yellow, Young Munster struck for a late try.

Second row Darren Gallagher was the scorer with O'Leary adding the extras, but Dolphin had the final say before the break with Keeshan kicking his second penalty.

The Ireland Club international took centre stage as he popped over penalties after 47 and 52 minutes to edge Dolphin ahead for the first time (12-10) in a very competitive game.

Dolphin back rower Miah Cronin and Munsters lock Sean Duggan earned time in the sin-bin for clashing off-the-ball, before the hosts broke through for an unconverted try.

Christy Condon and James Cronin were both involved in the build-up, with nippy winger James Kiernan slipping over in the right corner for the five-pointer.

Keeshan’s conversion attempt came back off an upright but he notched two further penalties, after 60 and 72 minutes, to confirm Dolphin as winners.

Munsters had replacement Hugh McGrath sin-binned after a collapsed scrum as they fell to their third away defeat on the trot in Division 1A.

Referee: Mark Patton (IRFU)