Jump to main content



Harlequins Bag Bonus Point In Galway

Harlequins Bag Bonus Point In Galway

Belfast Harlequins exploded into life in the second half of this 39-15 dismissal of Galwegians at Crowley Park, with the bonus point victory moving them up to third in the Division 1B table.

A try from nippy centre Michael Allen, on the stroke of half-time, put 'Quins 15-7 in front and they did not look back as Andrew Gillespie, Rory Blake-Knox and replacement Matt Holmes all dotted down in the closing 40 minutes.

Such was the Belfast side's dominance, they scored two tries in as many minutes on the hour mark – their powerful scrum forced a penalty try and then full-back Blake-Knox raided through for his score.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

Galwegians gained some consolation in the form of a Tadhg Leader try, but 'Quins had the final say with a late effort from Holmes.

Adam Larkin's men had gained an early lead in Glenina, a solid series of scrums preceding scrum half Ian Porter's fifth minute try.

Galwegians were back level within seven minutes, their patient approach, spearheaded by scrum half David Moore, leading to flanker Isaac O'Grady wrestling his way over from close range. Leader added the extras.

This was a real end-to-end encounter, both sides looking to move the ball at pace and be inventive in their attacking.

'Quins edged back in front when 'Wegians centre Brian Murphy was sin-binned for killing the ball close to his posts and Michael Heaney was successful with the resulting penalty.

The visitors increased their advantage when Allen finished off in the right corner and with their scrum continuing to cause problems for the Galway outfit, who clawed back some points early in the second half thanks to a Leader penalty.

But 'Quins were in full control after that, flanker Gillespie crossing for his try following a terrific counter from deep which included some great passing between backs and forwards.

The result was put beyond doubt by the penalty try and Blake-Knox's 62nd-minute score, with Leader, who was one of 'Wegians' best performers again, and Holmes completing the try count late on.

Referee: Barry O'Keeffe (IRFU)