Jump to main content


Garryowen Dominate Derby Clash With Bohs

Garryowen Dominate Derby Clash With Bohs

Garryowen got back to winning ways when they trounced UL Bohemians in what was a rare one-sided local derby in the Ulster Bank League.

There was a fair-sized attendance at Dooradoyle for this latest Friday Night Lights clash and while Garryowen supporters left very happy, it was one-sided for neutral observers.

The game was over as a contest by half-time at which stage the Light Blues led 21-3 and the only question waiting to be answered was when would they score their fourth try?

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

It arrived in the 66th minute when full-back Ronan O’Mahony rounded off a superb passing move to touch down beside the posts.

For good measure, Tom Tierney’s men added a fifth converted try by captain David Sherry just before the finish.

Young hooker James Rael was sprung from the hosts’ bench after just two minutes, replacing the injured David Rowley, and he claimed two of their first half tries.

Rael’s first try came with 22 minutes gone and he got in again from close range in the last play of the opening period.

The other try was scored by centre Conan Doyle who finished off a thrilling break from the home backs.

Former Thomond clubman Geoff Ryan converted all three, with UL’s only first half score being a lone Ben Martin penalty in the 36th minute.

Bohs were caught offside early in the second half, allowing Ryan to split the posts again and make it 24-3.

The visitors were 16-12 winners when the sides met at Thomond Park in November, but Garryowen were in the groove here and scrum half Neil Cronin was denied by a foot in touch as he threatened the UL try-line.

Bohs had some decent performances from the likes of full-back Martin, scrum half Tim Rafferty and pack regulars Ed Kelly and Ian Condell, however they were unable to turn their periods of pressure into points.

Garryowen, fired up after three successive defeats, sealed the bonus point through O’Mahony’s excellent effort past the hour mark.

A powerful scrum then set up Sherry’s final score with the result sending the Limerick club back into second place in the table.

Referee: Kieran Barry (IRFU)