Jump to main content


Four-Try Terenure March On

Four-Try Terenure March On

Terenure College moved a step closer to clinching the Ulster Bank League Division 1B title with 22-17 bonus point win over Dublin University at Lakelands Park.

An early Mark O'Neill try and two scores from Robert Duke gave Terenure a 17-3 lead at the interval, with Trinity's points coming from a Sam Windsor penalty.

Kevin O'Neill then sealed the bonus point with the hosts' fourth try, but the students fought back through a converted Jack Dilger score.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

Trinity applied late pressure and Dilger crossed again for a deserved second try to secure what could yet prove to be a crucial losing bonus point.

Following Corinthians' surprise losses at Shannon and Buccaneers, Terenure were looking to extend their considerable lead at the top of Division 1B.

They had won all 13 league matches to date, including the previous meeting with Trinity – 26-17 – at Sydney Parade back in November.

By contrast, Dublin University's poor form of just three league victories all season has plunged them into a relegation dogfight.

However, the last encounter between the sides was a tense affair for much of the game with Terenure only sealing victory in the final quarter.

The hosts though, playing with a strong wind behind them on Saturday, piled on the pressure early on and after Alex Dunlop was held up, out-half Mark O'Neill went over from a break off the resulting scrum in the third minute.

Trinity found themselves 12 points behind on 17 minutes when lively 'Nure forward Duke collected an loose lineout ball to cross the whitewash.

That score was harsh on the visitors who were battling hard against the elements, but they did pull back three points from Windsor's penalty in front of the posts soon after.

Terenure though hit back in clinical fashion on the half hour mark after a superb offload from Kyle McCoy sent Duke into the corner for his second try.

Following the restart, the students – now supported by the breeze – were having longer spells of possession and territory in the opposition half.

However, they were left to rue a missed penalty from Windsor when the home side broke up field and scrum half Kevin O'Neill burst away to touch down in the 53rd minute.

On the hour mark, Trinity's efforts were finally rewarded when Dilger powered through 'Nure's stubborn defence to go over the whitewash. Windsor's conversion made it 22-10.

To their credit, the students continued to press for a second try and were denied twice when McCoy was sin-binned for deliberately collapsing a maul and then were held up at the foot of the posts.

But in injury-time, Dilger managed to bundle over with Windsor's quickly-taken conversion being the last act of the match.

Referee: John Carvill (IRFU)