Jump to main content



Dungannon Get Back To Winning Ways

Dungannon Get Back To Winning Ways

Dungannon ran three converted tries past Bruff on Saturday to gain their first win in three Ulster Bank League Division 1B matches.

Bruff started this game on a firm footing, with their early territorial dominance leading to a Tony Cahill penalty on the quarter hour mark.

Dungannon had to bide their time as the Limerick men continued to impress with ball in hand. But Justin Fitzpatrick's men, who included player-coach Kieran Campbell at out-half, hit back to take a 7-3 lead into the break.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

After a missed penalty from the hosts, Campbell invited the pacy Chris Cochrane to chase down a kick and forced Bruff into the concession of a lineout.

The Dungannon forwards drove from the lineout and when the ball was switched into midfield, flanker Rowan Halsall slipped past the first tackle and charged over for a try from 20 metres out. Full-back Michael Lawton kicked the conversion.

'Gannon continued to take the game to Bruff in the closing stages of the first half, with Lawton, captain Paul Magee and his centre partner Glen Telford getting a chance to stretch their legs.

Magee was involved again as the Tyrone side returned to the Bruff 22 on the restart. They maintained possession and fed former underage international Cochrane, who came off his wing and sliced through for a well-taken try – his third in four league games.

Lawton's conversion was followed by Bruff's only try, ten minutes later. The visitors gained good yardage through their forwards and a close-in drive led to prop David Horan touching down for an unconverted score.

Now 14-8 behind, Bruff blew an overlap when they looked set to collect their second try. A strong tackle from Telford forced a knock on and replacement Timmy Smith relieved the pressure with a powerful burst forward.

Even better followed for Fitzpatrick's charges in the 65th minute. Lawton conjured up a fantastic individual try which saw he dart away from three Bruff players up to halfway, he then beat two more players on the way to the whitewash.

Having taken a deserved breather following his memorable 80-metre surge, Lawton added the extras for a 21-8 scoreline.

There was a great ebb and flow to the game in the closing 15 minutes, with both sides continuing to create scoring chances.

Cochrane did well to stop Bruff from nabbing a late try, in what was the final piece of notable action in an entertaining clash.

The result seeing 'Gannon climb above Eoin Cahill's side in the Division 1B table. They are now in sixth position and host Buccaneers in their rescheduled game next Saturday.

Referee: Alan Rogan (IRFU)