Jump to main content


Dolphin Dig Deep To Avoid Dublin Defeat

Dolphin Dig Deep To Avoid Dublin Defeat

Dolphin avoided defeat for the first time in this season’s Ulster Bank League with a deserved 22-22 draw with Old Belvedere at Anglesea Road.

Ex-Old Christians scrum half Stuart Lee came off the bench to nervelessly nail a last-minute levelling penalty for Dolphin, whose forwards in particular put in a great shift in the second half.

Old Belvedere had looked on course for their first win in four league outings, opening up a 15-0 first half advantage on the back of tries from Josh Glynn and Kieran O'Gorman (pictured below).

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

Having slumped to three defeats on the trot, 'Belvo were hugely determined to get back to winning ways and they made light of the blustery conditions and light rain to seize control of the game early on.

With 19 minutes on the clock, winger Glynn touched down for the opening try which he converted himself, and flanker O'Gorman added the second just three minutes later. Glynn added a penalty in the 34th minute.

But Dolphin scored a timely try just before half-time, fit-again hooker Niall Scannell was the scorer and centre Cian McGovern converted to reduce the arrears to 15-7. With the wind at their backs during the closing 40 minutes, Steve Ford's men forced the issue up front.

Influential forwards Chris Rowe and Ryan Murphy crossed the 'Belvo whitewash in the second period, with Munster flanker Sean Dougall getting some more game-time following his recent shoulder injury.

Although a Rory O'Loughlin try had 'Belvo 22-12 to the good in the 73rd minute, the division's bottom side managed to reel them in with Lee's late kick giving the Corkmen two valuable league points.

The result gives Ford's charges some momentum to take into next Friday's local derby with Cork Constitution, while Old Belvedere will aim to bounce back when they visit defending champions Clontarf on the same night.

Referee: Eddie Hogan O'Connell (IRFU)