Jump to main content


Clontarf Climb Into Third Place

Clontarf Climb Into Third Place

Clontarf have climbed into third place in Ulster Bank League Division 1A after storming past Young Munster on their home patch on Saturday.

Castle Avenue showed its appreciation for a fine five-try display from Andy Wood’s men, who have leapfrogged over the Cookies in the top four.

Despite some light snow, both sides showed early adventure on the firm pitch. ‘Tarf took an 8-0 advantage after winger Michael McGrath added an unconverted try to Richie Lane’s initial penalty.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

Full-back Matt D'Arcy was the provider for the opening try, countering from the visitors' 10-metre line with a fine dummy, direct run and then a pass to his left for the supporting McGrath to crash over.

Young Munster, who had won their previous four league fixtures, bounced back as out-half Shane O’Leary crowned his first start at this level with a try.

Unfortunately for the visiting supporters, that proved to be Munsters’ only score of the first half.

Clontarf hit back with a Lane penalty and two further tries out wide before the break. Passes from Evan Ryan and Matt D'Arcy sent winger Lane over in the left corner and busy flanker Adrian D'Arcy also touched down soon after.

The north Dubliners, 21-5 to the good at half-time, survived a period while McGrath was in the sin-bin for taking a player out in the air.

Just after McGrath’s return to the pitch, centre Killian Lett burst through for the bonus point score. Lane converted from in front of the posts.

Director of rugby Mike Prendergast rallied his troops with some clever kicking and distribution and replacement Colin Liston made it over for a late consolation score.

However, Clontarf had the final say as a Prendergast pass was intercepted by D'Arcy and the supporting McGrath charged away up to right wing, fending off Darragh O'Neill's tackle on the way to his second try of the afternoon.

Referee: Eddie Hogan O'Connell (IRFU)