Jump to main content


Buccaneers Return To Winning Ways

Buccaneers Return To Winning Ways

Buccaneers made an instant return to winning ways when they defeated Dungannon 33-20 in a hugely entertaining game at Dubarry Park.

This clash commenced at break-neck speed and Dungannon led inside the first minute after Buccs were penalised direct from the kick-off for not releasing in front of the posts. Jaryd Bennett duly converted but the northerners' lead lasted less than three minutes.

A smart attack by the midlanders was finished off by John O'Brien for a try at the posts which Jack Carty converted.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

Daniel Qualter caught the restart and offloaded deftly to man-of-the-match Shane Layden who stunned 'Gannon with a wonderful run for a stunning try on the right. Although Carty's conversion rebounded wide off the near upright, Buccs now led 12-3.

The Tyrone outfit responded to the challenge and Chris Cochrane stretched the home cover with some clever running to get in for an 11th minute try which ex-Bucc Bennett converted to reduce the arrears.

Despite the helter skelter nature of this contest, no further scores were added until the final quarter, although both Callum Threlfall and Kolo Kiripati were yellow carded in separate incidents in the opening half.

Bennett nosed Dungannon back in front with a 62nd minute penalty and Buccs were perhaps thinking they may rue a period of strong pressure before half-time that went unrewarded on the scoreboard.

However, Carty had them back in front with a penalty before quick hands got possession to Brian Tuohy on halfway and there was just no stopping the Connacht winger as he careered to the try-line for a 67th minute try which Carty converted.

Almost immediately a long testing kick by the out-half put pressure on Dungannon and Buccs forced a penalty which Carty slotted over for a 25-13 lead.

Six minutes from time, Dungannon bullied their way over for an Ali Birch try to leave the game finely balanced at 25-20.

But Buccs were not to be denied victory and, when Threlfall made his second visit to the sin-bin, they set up a late try for replacement Conor Lavelle that earned the Pirates a bonus point and second place in the standings.

Referee: Leo Colgan (IRFU)