Jump to main content


Bruff Suffer Heavy Defeat To Leaders ‘Hinch

Bruff Suffer Heavy Defeat To Leaders ‘Hinch

Ballynahinch showed no mercy to a demoralised Bruff team as they took another step closer to Division 1B honours with a 52-point victory in Limerick.

The league leaders scorched to a blistering bonus point, leading by 26-0 towards the end of a one-sided first half at Kilballyowen Park.

On a crisp spring afternoon Ballynahinch started this contest in fine style. Their backs moved the ball with great pace, Rodger McBurney cutting through a gap to put James Thompson clear.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

Thompson made good ground before sending the ball wide to winger Aaron Ferris who opened the scoring with just two minutes played. Michael Lawton was wide with his conversion attempt.

The visitors kept the pressure on and in the 10th minute flanker David McGuigan intercepted from just inside the 'Hinch half and raced clear to score for the County Down side. Lawton added the extras for a 12-point advantage.

As the clock passed the 20-minute mark strong running from 'Hinch centre Stuart Morrow saw him coast through on an overlap and he ran in the third try which was converted by Lawton.

Bruff centre Brian Cahill had a penalty attempt in the 23rd minute but his kick drifted wide of the posts.

By the 29th minute mark 'Hinch had their bonus point in the bag, centre Thompson racing clear to cross the whitewash with Lawton converting for a 26-0 advantage.

Six minutes before half-time, 'Hinch prop Kyle McCall was yellow carded for handling the ball in a ruck close to the visitors' try-line.

The home side managed turn this spell of pressure into points, Cahill smashing his way over for a try which he then converted to cut the gap to 19 points at the break.

Lawton made a timely impact at the beginning of the second half when he made a 60-metre break, almost making the Bruff line. As 'Hinch scrapped for the ball, James Simpson was yellow carded for back-chat to referee Leo Colgan.

Hinch pressed on and struck for their fifth try in the 48th minute when McBurney raced onto the end of a lovely kick ahead from out-half Harry McAleese to cross for the try. Lawton was again able to add the extras.

McAleese repeated the dose in the 51st minute, this time it was a neat chip through for Morrow to collect the ball and run in his second try and Ballynahinch's sixth.

A quick tap and go by Blane McIlroy, five minutes later, created space for Morrow to burst clear and put winger David Nicholson clear for another well-taken try.

By this stage, 'Hinch had moved into overdrive and great individual skill from Aaron Cairns created the eighth try in the 60th minute when he raced clear and was just halted short of the Bruff whitewash.

Quick ball from McIlroy found Lawton in space and he crossed for the try and he converted to make it 50-7.

Indiscipline cost Derek Suffern's side for the third time when scrum half McIlroy was yellow carded for back-chat to the referee in the 75th minute.

The final score of the afternoon was a fine solo effort from Neil Faloon who collected the ball on halfway to beat a number of Bruff tackles on his way to the line for try number 9. Lawton converted to finish off his 12-point place-kicking contribution.

Nineteen tries in the last two games has been a great haul for the table toppers and this was a solid all-round performance away from home for 'Hinch, the five points earned keeping the status quo at the summit in Division 1B.

Referee: Leo Colgan (IRFU)