Jump to main content


Bonus Point Victory Sends Munster ‘A’ Through

Bonus Point Victory Sends Munster ‘A’ Through

Munster ‘A’ progressed to the quarter-finals of the British & Irish Cup after a convincing bonus point success over Stirling County at Bridgehaugh.

Peter Malone's Munster 'A' side led by just seven points at the break but four tries in the second half secured the win and a place in the last-eight.

Plymouth Albion's bonus point victory over Nottingham meant that Munster 'A' needed to win by 37 points to secure top spot in Pool 4, but they fell 11 points short and go into the quarter-finals as sixth seeds.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

Munster 'A' took an early lead at Bridgehaugh, with in-form winger Ronan O'Mahony claiming his sixth try in as many British & Irish Cup games.

Academy out-half Johnny Holland added the extras to make it 7-0 after nine minutes, but the province were unable to extend their lead and the first half ended with just one try scored.

Munster 'A' upped the tempo in the second half though and Holland crossed for the second try after 47 minutes before kicking the conversion himself.

Holland had to be withdrawn with an injury shortly after but it did not halt his side's momentum and South African back rower CJ Stander crossed for the third try after 50 minutes with scrum half Gerry Hurley converting.

Darren Sweetnam touched down the bonus point score after 57 minutes to put the result beyond doubt with his Dolphin club-mate Rory Scannell, Holland's replacement, narrowly off target with the conversion attempt.

Busy winger Gerhard van den Heever scored Munster's fifth try – his third time to cross the whitewash in eight days – and Scannell was again unlucky with the conversion kick.

Brian Archibald bagged Stirling's only score after 65 minutes to reduce the arrears, but it was only a consolation try as Munster 'A' booked their place in the knockout stages.

Archibald was yellow card for a deliberate knock-on late in the game with Munster 'A' replacement scrum half Brian Haugh following him to the sin-bin in the final minute, however it made no difference to the final scoreline.

Notably, Munster Academy prop Niall Horan came on for Alan Cotter to make his British & Irish Cup debut after 74 minutes.

Referee: Fergus Kirby (England)