Jump to main content


Back-To-Back Wins For Four-Try Terenure

Back-To-Back Wins For Four-Try Terenure

Terenure College benefited from some clinical finishing as they made it back-to-back successes in Division 1A with a 31-18 dismissal of bottom-placed Dolphin at Lakelands Park.

Playing into a strong wind in the first half, patience was required from Terenure. Dolphin out-half Rory Scannell was aiming for touch on a regular basis and with home centre Graham Coffey forced off through injury in the fourth minute, it looked set to be a tough opening for 'Nure.
Indeed, when flanker Robert Duke was penalised inside his 22 three minutes later, Munster 'A' ace Scannell made no mistake with the resulting place-kick. Yet, Dolphin also lost scrum half Stuart Lee to injury and as the half progressed, the hosts were starting to cause problems for the Corkmen.
Just shy of the 20-minute mark, impressive 'Nure centre Stephen O'Neill made a burst towards the left winger and after receiving a neat offload, full-back Ian Hanly comfortably crossed for the opening try of the day.

Out-half Mark O'Neill converted with aplomb and with their tails now up, it was no surprise to see last season's Division 1B winners registering a second try 26 minutes in. Stephen O'Neill was once again the instigator of this score, but winger Harry Moore still had a lot of work to do before racing away for an eye-catching eighth try of the season.
After Mark O'Neill's second successful conversion followed from the left, Dolphin showed considerable resilience for the remainder of the half. Even though Will Hanley and hooker Niall Scannell were thwarted in their efforts to score a 33rd minute try, Scannell's younger brother Rory did ensure that their half-time deficit was reduced to eight points – 14-6 – courtesy of a close range penalty.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

With an improved run of league form prior to this trip to Dublin, Dolphin would certainly have felt that the game was still there for the taking, and ten minutes after the restart they had cut the gap to a bare minimum.
Terenure flanker Duke had been sent to the sin-bin at this point and when the visitors mauled forward to the left of the posts, number 8 John Fitzgerald was on hand to drive over the line.
The reliable Scannell added the extras, but just three minutes later it was 'Nure's turn to break through the opposition cover. Replacement Willie Devane put Dolphin under pressure with a ferocious tackle inside the 22, and some excellent approach work by Mark and Kevin O'Neill led to lock Kevin O'Dwyer powering over for his side's third converted try.

Dolphin stayed in the hunt, however, and after developing another dangerous maul inside the 'Nure half, replacement scrum half Killian O'Keeffe was able to dot down. Scannell was desperately unlucky to see his conversion attempt come back off the upright, but the prospect of a nail-biting conclusion was in prospect nevertheless.
Terenure swiftly reinforced their superiority, though, and this time it was Stephen O'Neill who found a way through for a potentially crucial bonus point try. He also added the conversion for good measure.

There was still time for a final penalty to be sent through the posts by Mark O'Neill who, having been replaced, returned to take over from his brother Kevin at scrum half. His confident strike in injury-time sealed a 13-point triumph for James Blaney's men.

Referee: Mark Patton (IRFU)