Jump to main content


McFadden Suspended, Healy Undergoes Knee Procedure

McFadden Suspended, Healy Undergoes Knee Procedure

Leinster’s Fergus McFadden appeared today in Edinburgh before an independent PRO12 Rugby disciplinary committee, having been cited for stamping or trampling on an opponent in contravention of Law 10.4 (b) during the New Year’s Day match against Connacht.

Fergus McFadden accepted that he had committed an act of foul play and that it would have warranted a red card. Accordingly, the disciplinary committee, chaired by Pamela Woodman, alongside Roddy Dunlop and John Kirk (all from Scotland), considered what would be the appropriate sanction.

Having viewed video footage of the incident involving McFadden and Connacht prop Nathan White, listened to evidence and representations from and on behalf of the player, and reviewed all of the other evidence, the disciplinary committee found that Mr McFadden had acted recklessly and that the offending merited a mid-range entry point based on World Rugby’s scale of seriousness, which carries a five-week playing suspension.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

The disciplinary committee further found that there were no aggravating factors and that there were a number of mitigating factors (including McFadden’s acknowledgement of wrongdoing, his previous clean disciplinary record and his good conduct at the hearing) such that his playing suspension be reduced by two weeks.

The Kildare man is therefore suspended from playing rugby for a total of three weeks, up to and including Sunday, January 24, ruling him out of Leinster’s upcoming encounters with the Ospreys, Bath and Wasps. He was reminded of his right of appeal.

Meanwhile, ahead of Friday’s GUINNESS PRO12 match against the Ospreys at Liberty Stadium, Leinster head coach Leo Cullen has issued the following squad update.

Cian Healy underwent a scope and clear out of his right knee yesterday afternoon. This was an elective procedure, and while we are still waiting for the report, it is expected that he will be out for three to four weeks.

Luke McGrath has recovered from his foot infection and fellow half-back Jonathan Sexton has trained fully this week. Both are available for Friday night’s game in Swansea.

Isaac Boss is continuing rehab on his hamstring, Mick Kearney has returned to non-contact on-field training as he steps up his recovery from a toe injury, and Jack Conan has had a protective boot removed as he continues his recovery from a broken foot.