On Friday, July 27 a Leinster Rugby XI will take on an Ireland Cricket XI in a charity 20-20 cricket match in Pembroke Cricket Club (Monkstown FC), Sandymount, Dublin 4 with proceeds set to go to Spinal Injuries Ireland.
This inaugural mid-summer festival is a major event in the fundraising calendar of Spinal Injuries Ireland.
This is an initiative fully endorsed and supported by both Cricket Ireland and Leinster Rugby which is aimed at encouraging children in the Leinster community to get healthy, get active, to get outdoors and play cricket and rugby.
Spinal Injuries Ireland aims to use this event to raise funds for the charity whilst simultaneously showcasing and promoting the development of cricket and rugby for kids throughout Leinster.
The recent ongoing success of both sports has reached new heights, and never before have we seen so much interest and enthusiasm generated around these two sports in the community.
THE AIM OF THE FESTIVAL:
• To raise the much-needed funds to enable Spinal Injuries Ireland build a transitional living unit for patients who have no suitable accommodation to go to on discharge from the National Rehabilitation Hospital.
• To develop further the awareness of both cricket and rugby at grass root level in community by showcasing organisations, the key personnel and initiatives in both camps.
• To cultivate and enhance the interest level that exists within the community and develops the synergistic relationships between both sports.
• To make this fun filled festival an annual event.
THE KEY EVENTS OF ‘THE BATTLE OF THE BIG HITTERS’:
• Main event is a 20/20 cricket match between President’s CI XI v President’s LR XI.
• Combined teams of Cricket Ireland squad, Leinster rugby squad, Leinster cricket players and celebrities.
• The game will comprise of four overs per pair of batsmen/women. Similar standards to be lined up against each other. When someone is out, the team is deducted five runs. Each player bowls two overs.
• Master classes of bowling, fielding and batting delivered by development officers of CI and key members of the Irish cricket team throughout the day
• Master classes of place-kicking, tackling and passing delivered by development officers of Leinster Rugby and key members of Leinster rugby team throughout the day
• Short games of Kwik cricket and Tag rugby for kids located at RSA-branded pods around the ground
• Interval event – Kevin O’Brien hitting sixes blindfolded
• Photos with celebrities and Heineken Cup
• Post-match barbeque and Apres Match entertainment