12 Dec, 14:42
Prop Cian Healy is expected to miss the start of the 2014 RBS 6 Nations after undergoing surgery on his injured ankle on Wednesday.
Ulster hooker Rory Best will make his first start for Ireland tomorrow. IrishRugby.ie profiles the 24-year-old who, two years ago, was watching Ireland take on South Africa as a student in the stands.
RORY BEST (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster):
Born: August 15, 1982
Height: 180cm/5ft 11in
Weight: 105kg/16st 7lbs
Ulster Caps: 38; Points: 15 (3 tries)
Ireland Caps: 4 (v New Zealand (sub), Australia (2 (sub, sub)), Wales (sub)); Points: 0
- Is in his third season with Ulster. Has played 38 times for the province, scoring three tries including one against Biarritz in last season's Heineken Cup. He stepped in to captain Ulster against Edinburgh in September when both his brother Simon and Justin Harrison were unavailable
- His four Ireland caps to date have all been as a replacement and have only totalled 21 minutes of game-time - he has been an unused replacement for Ireland on six occasions in the past twelve months, against Italy, France, Scotland, England New Zealand (2)
- Educated at Portadown College, the University of Newcastle and Queen's University Belfast (BSc Agriculture), he is attached to the Belfast Harlequins club. Came on as a replacement for Harlequins in the 2004/5 AIB League Division One final which they lost 25-20 to Shannon
- He played twice previously against South Africa at Under-21 level, and was a member of the Irish squad at the 2003 IRB U-21 World Cup
- Is a younger brother of Ireland-capped prop Simon Best (28). Simon skippered Ulster to a Celtic League title last season and will lead Ireland 'A' out against Australia 'A' at Thomond Park on Wednesday
...Best in action against Australia last June...
BEST - QUOTES:
Exclusive Access, Tickets, Competitions and Much More