On November 5, 1940, Fr Jackie Corbett held a meeting of former Terenure College students in the Hotel Lenehan, Harcourt Street. Those present were so enthusiastic that Terenure Collegians Rugby Football Club was born, with Fr Corbett elected as the first President.
The club played its first game less than three weeks later against the College Senior Cup side, establishing a long and treasured connection between the two sides of the lake.
Over the next couple of years the ‘Collegians’ changed to ‘College’, and the all white kit changed to the famous purple, black and white. The first Leinster Branch trophy arrived in 1943/44, and from then on it was a steady path upwards to where Terenure College RFC now find themselves.
The club has gone through some changes over the decades – the clubhouse has arrived and grown and grown, floodlights have come, players have gone upwards through blue, green and red.
Founding members have left, replaced with other stalwarts – generation after generation building on what has gone before to forge a tradition and create somewhere and something very special to everyone involved.
The club began as a place for College past pupils to continue playing the game of rugby, with the objective of enjoying and growing the game of rugby. That role has expanded over the years to include providing a world class facility to the local community, all the time maintaining a strong connection to their roots in Terenure College.
The 75th Anniversary season will be one of celebration, of remembrance and most of all, of excitement and enthusiasm for Terenure’s next quarter of a century.
For more information on Terenure College RFC and its history, please click here.