Canadian head coach Kieran Crowley has named his team and replacements for Saturday’s Test match against Ireland at Vancouver’s Thunderbird Stadium (kick-off 2pm local time/10pm Irish time).
The Canada team features a number of experienced players that played on their November tour, which included a 55-0 defeat to Ireland at Thomond Park.
There is one new cap for Saturday’s game in Vancouver, with Castaway Wanderers back rower Chauncey O’Toole donning the number 6 jersey.
Uncapped scrum half Phil Mack and prop Andrew Tiedemann have been named on the replacements bench.
There are a number of UK-based players in the Canada squad, including Glasgow prop Kevin Tkachuk, Bedford Blues full-back James Pritchard, Plymouth Albion’s Sean Michael Stephen and Cornish Pirates trio Ed Fairhurst, Scott Franklin and Mike Burak.
Commenting on two of the newcomers, head coach Kieran Crowley said: “Chauncey has played some outstanding rugby in the last five weeks.
“His performances in training have pushed him up there and he deserves a shot. It’s a reward for the all the hard work he’s put in.
“Andrew has come through the Under-20 programme and played quite well this year. He can cover both sides of the scrum as a prop which is very important.”
Despite a disappointing eight-try loss to Ireland in the sides’ last meeting, New Zealander Crowley is quietly confident that the Canucks can gain some revenge.
“What happened in the past is history. It’s all about what is going to happen on Saturday now.
“So we’ve been concentrating on preparations for Saturday. It’s a case of getting our system back in place and getting our combinations together.”
You can purchase tickets for Saturday’s opening game of Ireland’s summer tour here.
CANADA TEAM & REPLACEMENTS (v Ireland, Saturday, May 23, Thunderbird Stadium, Vancouver, kick-off 2pm local time/10pm Irish time, live RTE Two):
15. James Pritchard (Bedford Blues)
14. Dean van Camp (Velox Valhallians)
13. Ciaran Hearn (Castaway Wanderers)
12. Ryan Smith (Calgary Irish)
11. DTH van der Merwe (James Bay AA)
10. David Spicer (University of Victoria)
9. Ed Fairhurst (Cornish Pirates)
1. Kevin Tkachuk (Glasgow Warriors)
2. Pat Riordan (University of Victoria) (capt)
3. Scott Franklin (Cornish Pirates)
4. Tyler Hotson (UBC Old Boy Ravens)
5. Mike Burak (Cornish Pirates)
6. Chauncey O’Toole (Castaway Wanderers)
7. Adam Kleeberger (University of Victoria)
8. Aaron Carpenter (Brantford Harlequins)
16. Andrew Tiedemann (University of Victoria)
17. Luke Tait (Stade Montois)
18. Jebb Sinclair (Castaway Wanderers)
19. Nanyak Dala (Castaway Wanderers)
20. Sean Michael Stephen (Plymouth Albion)
21. Phil Mack (James Bay AA)
22. Ander Monro (Colorno)