Jump to main content


Hanrahan Steers UL Bohs To Cork Success

Hanrahan Steers UL Bohs To Cork Success

Winger Darren Moroney scored UL Bohemians’ first try of the league season as they earned a 19-9 victory over hosts UCC at the Mardyke.

Kerry youngster JJ Hanrahan also won the battle of the out-halves, kicking four penalties and a conversion to outdo Brian Kingston, UCC's only scorer.

UL Bohemians were full value for this win, their hard-working pack providing the platform for half-backs Hanrahan and Cathal Sheridan to dictate the pace of the game and where it was played.

Google Ad Manager – 300×250 – In Article

The pair's accurate kicking out of hand pinned the Cork students back and in Dave Foley and Dave Kilcoyne they had the two best forwards on the pitch.

UCC fell behind after just six minutes when a terrific break from deep, covering 60 metres, ended with Darren Moroney scoring in the corner.

Flanker Eddie Rossiter was at the heart of the move which caught the UCC defence off guard, and Hanrahan added an excellent conversion from the touchline.

The Ireland Under-20 international made it 10-0 with his first penalty just three minutes later, before Kingston replied for the hosts as the midpoint of the first half approached.

UCC's pacy back-line threatened on occasion, with the likes of James Kiernan, Luke Duffy and Joe Holland posing problems for UL's scramble defence. Still, the Limerick side maintained control of the scoreboard.

Hanrahan and Kingston swapped penalties again, after 22 and 25 minutes, and Conor Twomey's home side enjoyed a decent spell just short of the break. UL prop Kevin Flanagan was sin-binned for infringing at a UCC maul, but Kingston missed the penalty kick.

UCC regrouped at the interval and continued to improve in the early stages of the second half, a well-struck penalty from Kingston reducing the arrears to just 13-9.

With Flanagan back on the pitch, UL seized control again. Their scrum and a clever kicking game got them back into scoring range and Hanrahan fired over two more penalties in the 70th and 72nd minutes to confirm the away victory.

Referee: Mark Patton (IRFU)