Given its global rise in popularity and its benefits to the player with fitness and skill in mind, this is a sport definitely worth a shot, particularly in tandem with tag rugby. Already, plans are being compiled for the growth of IRFU Touch in Ireland and the IRFU’s Tag and Touch programmes will compliment each other well along the way.
Ireland assistant coach, Les Kiss, took time out to film some tips and talk touch rugby.
The video clips can be found in the Club & Community section of IrishRugby TV (click here to view). Well worth a look!
On Saturday 18th August, a one-day IRFU Touch event will take place at Templeogue College on Templeville Road in Dublin 6W. While the regular touch players get on with their own competition that day, a ‘Novice Competition’ for beginners will also be run concurrently. This would be ideal for any player interested in trying out the sport for the first time. Given its format, tag players would find it wholly familiar to play.
- Registration to the event costs only €10 per person for the day. This applies as €10 per individual within or without a team.
- To provide an easy and qualified platform for beginners, there will be a coaching session held in the morning time beforehand. Here, experienced touch players will demonstrate various traits and tips of the game and places in teams will be found for any individuals showing up.
- A BBQ then follows the coaching session, with food provided by IRFU
- Round-robin competition takes place between beginners teams, separate to that of experienced teams
- Post-Touch get-together in the DTwo Bar on Harcourt St, Dublin 2 where trophy presentations will take place, and spot prizes, snack food available.
Schedule as follows:-
11am – Registration (sign-up at tent).
11.30-1.00pm – Warm-Up/Coaching/Tips Session
1.00-2.00pm - Free BBQ/refreshments
2.00-4.00pm - Novices competition
8.00pm - Post-Touch party, presentations, spot prizes, food at DTwo Bar on Harcourt St.
Please email email@example.com with any queries.