At the end of the course the coach is expected to develop individual players' abilities to undertake and adjust their specific roles in a changing environment within each of the identities of rugby.
Sport specific and generic modules are examined at a more advanced level, together with the introduction of modules which develop the coaches' ability to understand Learning styles in conjunction with increasing the players' tactical appreciation.
The course develops the Assistant coach as 'Facilitator'.
• Assistant Coach position (actively coaching at an appropriate level - Stage 4)
• Stage 3 Coach / Assistant Coach Accreditation
• Assimilated - Proven senior/professional rugby playing or coaching experience
*Priority will be given to Assistant Coaches working at the higher levels
40 maximum/20 minimum (divided between Backs and Forwards coaches)
• Full course attendance
• Produce a written Unit Profile - Strengths & weakness' profile of identities of rugby relating to player profiles (backs/forwards)
• Log 60 hours coaching (diary)
• Complete a minimum of one Practical Coaching Observation
• Sign-off and awareness of the IRFU "Child Welfare Document" (if working with underage team)
The IRFU reserves the right to modify, replace or add to accreditation requirements in accordance with updates to Coach Development programmes.
The IRFU Coaching Accreditation Re-Validation programme is currently under development and due for launch in season 2017/2018.
It is envisaged that IRFU coaching accreditations will be re-validated on a 3 yearly basis provided coaches have fulfilled specific 'Continuing Professional Development' (CPD) requirements during that 3 year period from when they received their IRFU coaching accreditation.
Such CPD requirements will vary by accreditation Stage/coaching level, and opportunities to build on existing IRFU coaching accreditations will be provided by way of provincial workshops, seminars and conferences as well as online resources aimed at promoting coach development in a more self-directed manner.