"The details provided by the ARU have been considered by the RWC Board and
Australia, with the backing of RWCL, the IRB's World Cup arm, last month withdrew their offer to let New Zealand co-host the tournament after the Kiwis refused to sign the sub host union agreement because of concerns over their ability to provide venues clean of pre-booked advertising and seating.
RWCL gave Australia 21 days to provide an alternative plan for staging the tournament alone, despite New Zealand pleas to reinstate them as co-hosts.
The RWCL board, comprised of Vernon Pugh (Wales), Malcolm Phillips (England), Jacques Laurans (France), Rian Oberholzer (South Africa) and Rob Fisher (New Zealand), finally approved Australia's new proposal during a telephone hook-up on Sunday, the ARU said.
Although the IRB still has to give its approval to the new proposal, the RWCL's decision to support Australia's plan is a blow to New Zealand's attempts to be reinstated as co-hosts.
However, the RWC statement on Monday seemed to leave the door ajar for consideration of any New Zealand alternative plan.
The ARU spokesman said New Zealand Rugby Football Union chief executive David Rutherford telephoned ARU boss John O'Neill last week to arrange a meeting to discuss the World Cup but O'Neill told him the decision was up to the IRB.