The inaugural Auld Blacks Awards was a great success all-round, as the ever ebullient Hector Ó hEochagáin proved a bubbly MC for the day with former Leinster, Ireland and Lions hooker Shane Byrne and former Scottish international Andy Nicol on hand to preview the game.
The event helped to raise over 25,000 euro for Longford RFC, proving the worth of tapping into the vast pool of former players.
It is the vision of the 'Auld Blacks' to develop into an integral part of the club, in terms of establishing and maintaining ties between not only former players but anyone who has contributed and been part of what is a cornerstone of Longford and the North Midlands sporting community - Longford Rugby Club.
Through the Auld Blacks, the following key goals are hoped to be achieved:
- Reunion activities throughout the year culminating in an annual function held on the day of a home Ireland Six Nations fixture.
- Every year the Longford Rugby Auld Blacks function will present awards in two categories (an induction to the club's hall of fame for a former player, and recognition of service to LRFC to a club person recognised as having given exceptional service to the club).
- Travel to both home and away LRFC fixtures.
- The provision of Auld Blacks merchandise/casual wear to include a new Auld Blacks jersey each season, polo shirts, ties etc.
- Monthly newsletter/e-zine with features to include updates on teams progress throughout the club, upcoming activities, a 'where are they now?' interview with a former player, match reports and photography from the archives and much more!
For more information, check out www.longfordrugby.com.