19 May, 11:13
There are six uncapped players in the Ireland squad for the summer tour to North America that was named this morning. An Emerging Ireland squad has also been selected for the Tblisi Cup in Georgia.
A total of 37 coaches attended the course in the University of Ulster (Jordanstown) and 64 coaches took part in the course at IT Carlow.
The week-long courses are just one part of the certified conditioning coach course with the purpose of the course to provide support in terms of education - both theoretical and practical - to the coach who wishes to develop his or her confidence and competence in delivering a structured conditioning programme to players in the amateur game.
The IRFU Fitness Department is delighted to announce that the 2010 Certified Conditioning Coach Course will be run in the same venues as 2009.
The dates are as follows:
University of Ulster, Jordanstown - June 28 until July 2, 2010
Insitute of Technology, Carlow - July 5 until July 9, 2010
If you would like more information or to register, please contact Niamh Nash or telephone 01 6473835.
The course is run by -
Course Director: Dr Liam Hennessy
Course Manager: Des Ryan
Course Administrator: Niamh Nash
Topics covered were -
Principles, Demands, Needs, Warm Ups, Prehab, Functional assessment, Integrated Conditioning, Planning & Periodisation, Testing, Nutrition, Strength, Speed, LTPD, Fundamental Movement Skills.
The presenters were -
* Des Ryan IRFU Fitness Education Manager
* Paul Pook: Irish Senior Team Strength and Conditioning Coach
* Chris Shields IRFU Ulster Sub Academy Fitness Advisor
* Declan Gamble SINI
* Ruth Wood Martin IRFU Performance Nutritionist
* Rodney Kennedy University of Ulster Sport Science Dept.
* Chris Webster PDM Ulster Branch
* Colin Buckley: IAWA Coach Education Director
* Martin Zagiega; Silver medalist Super heavy weight Olympics in Seoul 1988 and full-time German weight lifting Coach
* Dr PJ Smyth: Head of Motor Development in PE and Sports Science at University of Limerick